Teacher Created Materials, an educational publishing company headquartered in Huntington Beach, celebrated Read Across America on Friday, March 1, at Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School in Garden Grove. Over 120 employee volunteers carried out the vision of TCM--to create a world in which children love to learn--by sharing their teaching, reading, painting, and building skills with the staff and students.
GARDEN GROVE, Calif., March 07, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Teacher Created Materials, an educational publishing company headquartered in Huntington Beach, celebrated Read Across America on Friday, March 1, at Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School in Garden Grove. Over 120 employee volunteers carried out the vision of TCM—to create a world in which children love to learn—by sharing their teaching, reading, painting, and building skills with the staff and students.
Annually, Read Across America is celebrated across the country in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday (Theodor Geisel). His books, such as Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat, have delighted children for generations and helped build early reading skills through engaging stories and playful language. Since 2012, TCM has successfully conducted volunteer projects at local Orange County schools. And for the third year in a row the organization has extended its philanthropic reach to include its out-of-state employees.
"Read Across America is an event that our entire staff looks forward to every year, and we are excited to see how it continues to grow," said Deanne Mendoza, co-owner of Teacher Created Materials. "This year we supported nearly 35 schools across 24 different states, donating over 1600 backpacks filled with literacy and math resources to all of the students."
Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School is a transitional kindergarten through sixth grade school educating 632 students. As a Title I school, more than 90 percent of students qualify for the free or reduced price lunch program. The staff and principal, Beth Cusimano, are dedicated to preparing all students for success in college and career. TCM selected this school based upon its needs, contribution to the local community, and commitment to academic excellence.
"The goal of our Read Across America program is to encourage literacy and reading," said Corinne Burton, President of Teacher Created Materials. "We are proud to partner with Eisenhower Elementary this year to support the incredible students and staff, and further build their love for learning."
A variety of activities were completed around the school throughout the day. They included:
- Read Across America: Volunteers read books and completed literacy-focused activities with all students at the school.
- Garden Beautification: Volunteers put together garden signs and fence murals to support the robust gardening program at the school.
- Murals: Volunteers painted a sports mural, inspirational words, and a school mascot mural around the school to celebrate Eagle Pride and high achievement.
- Health and Agility Course: Volunteers painted a colorful health and agility course on the playground blacktop.
- Healthy Eating Plate: Volunteers painted a healthy eating plate near the lunch area to remind students about properly balanced meals.
- Kindergarten Play Yard Makeover: Volunteers brightened up the outside of the equipment shed and painted an alphabet snake on the blacktop.
- Fence Covering: Volunteers repaired fence covering along the back of the school to help support a safe campus environment for students.
- Backpacks: All students received a free backpack filled with student and parent resources.