BARCELONA, SPAIN--(Marketwired - February 23, 2016) - Juniper Networks (JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Telefónica, a leading service provider with more than 329 million customers worldwide, has selected Juniper Networks to provide the core infrastructure for its next generation Fusión Network. Telefónica has designed Fusión Network to transform its customer experience for mobile, residential and business services across Spain.
Telefónica Spain has selected Juniper Networks® MX Series 3D Routers to provide a high performance, intelligent SDN control, service rich core network for Fusión Network. The MX2020 will provide Telefónica Spain the multi-terabit IP/MPLS routing capacity and connectivity across all metro regions as traffic ingress and egress from all of Telefónica's Internet Exchange locations. The new core network is extensible to address service interconnectivity for the Internet, content providers, content delivery networks (CDNs) and data centers relying on Telefónica's national infrastructure.
This new decision by Telefónica Spain, together with the announcement made in September 2015 that Juniper Networks was chosen by Telefónica Spain to provide the next-generation IP/MPLS metro services delivery infrastructure for Fusión Network, affirms that just a single product family, the MX Series, covers the entire Fusión Network. This is a significant contribution to Telefónica Spain's network simplification strategy.
- The MX2020 is the industry's highest capacity router in its class in the world. It scales up to 32Tbps of system capacity, providing Telefónica Spain with investment-protecting performance and the density to meet the surging bandwidth and service demands of its customers over the long term.
- The platform is expected to provide the highest levels of reliability for Telefónica Spain with a fully redundant and resilient architecture, advanced Junos® OS automation and analytics functionality and SDN/NFV programmability.
- The core rollout will begin imminently, with estimated completion by 2019.
"Our customers expect a fast, always-on, secure experience, as they connect to cloud-based business services, access bandwidth-hungry TV, video and music content for download and streaming, or use social media sites. Development of a superfast core that can match Fusión Network's service edge network with scale, reliability and minimal latency, is the next step. Juniper Networks is a valued partner to Telefónica as we drive Spain's digital transformation forward."
- Joaquin Mata, chief technology officer at Telefónica Spain
"Fusión Network is a good example of the critical need for service providers to step up to their customers' evolving demands as the cloud era really takes hold. Telefónica Spain is building a new business model, not just a network, to ensure it is able to deliver digital services and content at scale for many years to come. Juniper is pleased to be supporting this transformation from the metro edge to the core."
- Vince Molinaro, executive vice president, chief customer officer at Juniper Networks.
- Juniper.net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks, the Juniper Networks logo, Junos and QFabric are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.