- The royal wedding was a star-studded affair, as one might expect when a prince marries a US TV star.
- The guest list was filled with singers and actors but there were scant few tech moguls to be seen with one big exception: Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian.
- He scored an invite because he is the husband of one of the bride's dear friends, tennis great Serena Williams.
The wedding event of the year took place on Saturday when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were married at St George's Chapel in Windsor in an elaborate and elegant royal ceremony.
For months leading up the wedding there was much speculation about who would be invited. On Saturday, a long list of celebrities were there, as you would expect for a wedding between a prince and a US TV star. The guest list included David and Victoria Beckham, Elton John, James Blunt, and several of Markle's co-stars like Gina Torres and James Corden.
But there was only one stand-out from Silicon Valley spotted: Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. And he scored this invite through his wife, tennis great Serena Williams.
Williams and Markle have been friends for years. They met in a super American way, at a Super Bowl party in 2010, and became fast friends. That was years before Markle began stepping out with Harry, or Williams began dating Ohanian.
Williams helped Markle deal with some of the tougher aspects of her rising fame, like paparazzi showing up at her house and chasing her, Williams told Vanity Fair.
The tennis star told Markle that when it comes to fame, "You've got to be who you are, Meghan. You can't hide.”
This will no doubt be useful advice as Markle begins her new life as part of the royal family.
Ohanian is best known as one of the cofounders of Reddit, where he is still executive chairman, though he no longer involved in the day-to-day operations. Today, he's a general partner at a venture capital firm he cofounded, Initialized Capital.
Ohanian has been well-known in the tech world for years, but since he became the husband of Williams, his personal life public profile has skyrocketed. They recently welcomed their first child into the world and Williams is expected to play at the French Open later this year, her first major championship since her maternity leave, with Ohanian cheering in the stands. And now, thanks to his wife, he's hobnobbing with the royal family, too.
- 10 people killed in shooting at Texas high school; suspected gunman arrested and explosive devices found
- America is so obsessed with the royal wedding that Meghan Markle briefly overtook Trump on Google
- Nobody can agree if this robot says 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' and everyone is arguing about it