SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwired - Feb 23, 2014) - Juniper Networks (
As the second largest fixed and mobile telecommunications provider in Brazil covering 94 percent of urban geographies with over 73 million customers, TIM is improving network coverage and fulfilling the ever-increasing demand for high-speed networks for its customers by implementing a resilient and secure LTE network. TIM has deployed 4G LTE in the 24 largest cities in Brazil in anticipation of this year's World Cup.
While 2G and 3G networks operate on proprietary encrypted protocols that intrinsically provide security functions, the all-IP nature of LTE networks can expose core elements of the network to cybercriminals. The Juniper Networks SRX Series provides TIM functionalities that protect their backbone LTE networks as well as subscribers' data and privacy.
Fortifying its network is a high priority so its infrastructure does not become exposed to advanced threats designed to steal information or impact service availability.
TIM is covering 24 of the largest Brazilian cities with 4G LTE, supporting more than 400,000 of its subscribers. Juniper's solution enables TIM to provide superior customer experience with:
- Strong Performance: TIM selected Juniper Networks SRX5600 and 5800 Series Services Gateway because of its unparalleled performance, integrated security services and scalability.
- The SRX5600 and 5800 support 450,000 connections per second, up to an industry record-breaking 100 million concurrent user sessions and 300 Gbps throughput.
- Always-on services: The SRX line cards provide TIM with high-end security that delivers zero downtime performance upgrades by offering both in-service software and hardware upgrades reducing the need for planned downtime, enabling service providers to deliver uninterrupted service. The cards are also backward compatible with TIM's current cards and chassis extending current investments while scaling to meet customer demands. Juniper's SRX Series provides TIM with simplicity and scalability at the speed of LTE.
- Protecting the network and the customer data: While several vendors in the market provide security solutions, TIM selected Juniper because of Juniper's extensive experience in LTE mobile security. The SRX Series was developed to be natively aware of mobile-specific protocols such as GTP and LTE-SCTP resulting in a firewall able to block the proliferation of attacks leveraging or embedded in such protocols.
"Our LTE transition requires a massive bandwidth increase and additional security requirements, and a solution that can scale on-demand and deliver carrier-grade reliability to ensure always-on service for more than 70 million subscribers in Brazil. We selected Juniper SRX Series because it's one of the most consolidated solutions in the market and fulfills the interoperability requirements from TIM as a multivendor access network. The benefit of choosing the SRX platform will help us not only to address the go-to-market needs, but also to rapidly expand our advanced services."
-Cicero Olivieri, transport network director, TIM Brasil
"High-speed LTE networks enable a much richer experience that mobile users are demanding, but it can also bring new security considerations for service providers that, if not managed, can lead to network downtime, lost revenue and unhappy subscribers. Working with Juniper, TIM's state of the art system is helping them deliver on their vision for ubiquitous, high performing always-on secure services."
-Michael Callahan, vice president global product marketing, Security Business Unit, Juniper Networks
- About SRX5600 and 5800 Series Services Gateways
- Juniper Networks Security Homepage
- Juniper on Twitter
- Juniper on Facebook
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.