SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwired - May 2, 2013) - Today TiVo, a leader in the advanced television entertainment market, released the first-ever TiVo Mother's Day TV survey celebrating the best TV moms and the shows that help families come together.
Almost one-third (28 percent) of moms surveyed say they can't live without their TiVo® DVR, so it's no wonder that one in five (21 percent) say a night off to catch up on their favorite TV is the gift they most want for Mother's Day. What reality programming are moms most likely to be catching up on? Cooking shows like Top Chef (41 percent) and adventure reality shows like Survivor (30 percent) lead the way in popularity.
"Busy moms have very little time to sit on the couch and enjoy their favorite movies or TV shows, and when we get that chance we're usually battling for control of the remote with our husbands or turning on Yo Gabba Gabba for kids in the house," said new mom and TV personality Kristin Cavallari. "What's great about having a TiVo and TiVo Stream is that you can watch your shows anywhere throughout the house or while traveling and I'm always discovering new shows. It's the perfect companion for busy moms and really, the whole family."
According to Cavallari, her "must watch" shows include:
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- The Soup
- The Rachel Zoe Project
TiVo not only surveyed what mom wants most this Mother's Day, it also examined favorite TV shows among moms and families. Families most like to watch comedies together such as The Big Bang Theory (35 percent) and Modern Family (28 percent). The Pritchetts from Modern Family were the top pick for favorite current TV family (35 percent), while the same percentage chose The Cosby Show's The Huxtables as the top classic TV family. Today's funniest TV mom is Modern Family's Claire Dunphy (41 percent), followed by How I Met Your Mother's Lily Aldrin-Erikson (25 percent). The most-missed funny TV mom is I Love Lucy's Lucy Ricardo (37 percent).
TiVo's inaugural Mother's Day TV survey also found:
TiVo keeps kids (and moms) happy
- Thirty-one percent of respondents rely on movie or TV viewing apps like TiVo to keep kids entertained in the car
- The current top time-shifted shows kids watch are The Legend of Korra, Star Wars: Clone Wars, House of Anubis, Thudercats and Sofia the First
- When kids watch one hour of TiVo, moms are most likely to catch up on reading (41 percent), doing housework (28 percent) and shopping online (17 percent)
- Of gadgets in the home, 50 percent of families battle the most over the TiVo remote, but 93 percent of parents control the remote the during family "TV time"
"Hot" TV moms and dads
- Modern Family's Gloria Delgado (30 percent) ranks as the hottest TV mom of all time, followed by Friends' Rachel Green (27 percent)
- Hottest TV dads include Mad Men's Don Draper (30 percent), Full House's Jesse Katsopolis (16 percent) and Dexter's Dexter Morgan (14 percent)
TV family dynamics
- Respondents said the best TV mom of all time is Happy Days' Marion Cunningham (19 percent), followed by The Simpsons' Marge Simpson and The Cosby Show's Claire Huxtable (17 percent)
- The Brady Bunch's Jan Brady (30 percent) and Modern Family's Manny Delgado (28 percent) are the top TV children respondents would most want to have as their own
- Leave it Beaver's Eddie Haskell (47 percent), Saved by the Bell's Zach Morris (17 percent) and Full House's Kimmy Gibbler (16 percent) are the kids parents would most not want their kids to hang out with
A TiVo Premiere 4 or TiVo Premiere XL4 DVR allows moms to record family-friendly programming -- up to 4 shows at once. TiVo Stream allows families to bring their recordings anywhere via their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch -- the perfect accessory for families-on-the-go. The newest addition to the TiVo family is TiVo Mini, which allows families to watch their recordings in any room in the house.
You can follow Kristin Cavallari on Twitter at https://twitter.com/KristinCav.
The TiVo Mother's Day Survey was conducted by TiVo between March 3 and March 5, 2013, using an online survey. Additional data was provided by TiVo Research and Analytics, Inc. (TRA) using a sample of 350k daily TiVo households between January 30, 2012 to February 3, 2013.
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (