Tuesday night's $1.537 billion Mega Millions jackpot won by a ticket sold in South Carolina was the second largest in U.S. history.
Lottery players have a shot at another top 10 jackpot as Wednesday night's Powerball is estimated at $620 million.
A look at the 10 largest U.S. jackpots that have been won and the states where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, South Carolina)
3. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
4. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
5. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
6. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
7. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
8. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
9. $559.7 million, Powerball, Jan. 6, 2018 (one ticket, New Hampshire)
10. $543 million, Mega Millions, July 24, 2018 (one ticket, California)
Sources: AP archives, www.megamillions.com and www.powerball.com
For the AP's complete coverage of the lottery: https://apnews.com/Lottery
This story has been corrected to show that the Mega Millions lottery won Tuesday night was the second largest, not largest ever, based on final details provided by the lottery, and that it was won in 2018, not 2019.