Foreclosure filings were up 2 percent nationally from August to September. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in September. Nationally, 1 in every 998 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of September 2013)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:998 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $113,000
|States1||Ratio of foreclosures2||Rates3||Income tax4|
|1:566||4.29%||2% to 5.75%|
|1:656||4.23%||1.4% to 8.97%|
|1:677||4.27%||3% to 6.7%|
|1:701||4.28%||0.587% to 5.925%|
|1:820||4.26%||Up to 7%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in August.
- 2Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 3Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Oct. 9, 2013, overnight averages.
- 4Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com