Foreclosure filings were down 10 percent nationally from January to February. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February. Nationally, 1 in every 1,170 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (for February 2014)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:1,170 housing units
|States1||Ratio of foreclosures2||Rates3||Income tax4|
|1:557||4.39%||2% to 5.75%|
|1:739||4.40%||1.4% to 8.97%|
|1:898||4.33%||3% to 6.7%|
|1:941||4.34%||0.537% to 5.421%|
|1:971||4.33%||Up to 7%|
|1:1,011||4.38%||1% to 6%|
|1:1,033||4.35%||4.4% to 7.65%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February.
- 2Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 3Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's March 12, 2014, overnight averages.
- 4Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com