EDMONTON, AB--(Marketwire - Dec 5, 2012) - The selection was made by a five-member panel of judges and announced at the magazine's annual Top Projects Awards luncheon on December 4, 2012 at the Derrick Golf & Winter Club in Edmonton. The event, sponsored by KPMG, recognizes the top construction projects in Alberta.
The $400-million project is a winner for many reasons, according to the magazine. From concept and design to construction, the complex, which opened to students in late summer, has been a showcase for innovation and collaboration.
The SAIT Trades and Technology Complex also won two other awards: it tied for the Top Project in the Institutional-Over $50 million category and Top Project for Design in the Institutional category.
The complete list of winners and location of projects:
- Commercial - over $50 million: The Bow, Calgary
- Commercial - under $50 million: PCL Headquarters Building 5, Edmonton
- Industrial - over $50 million: Suncor Firebag Stage 4 Pad 106/116 SAGD Field Facilities, RM of Wood Buffalo
- Institutional - over $50 million (tie): South Health Campus, Calgary; SAIT Trades and Technology Complex, Calgary
- Institutional - under $50 million: Emergency Operations Centre, Calgary
- Civil - over $50 million: West LRT Stations, Calgary
- Civil - under $50 million: Gregoire HDD Sanitary Sewer Siphon Project, RM of Wood Buffalo
- Sustainability: Emergency Operations Centre, Calgary
- Design - Commercial: Edmonton International Airport Combined Office Control Tower, Edmonton
- Design - Institutional (tie): Elevation Place, Canmore; SAIT Trades and Technology Complex, Calgary
- Design - Civil: Hangingstone Pedestrian Bridge, RM of Wood Buffalo
"This year's winning projects were impressive," said Chaz Osburn, editor of Alberta Construction Magazine. "Alberta's construction industry is second to none, as projects like these illustrate."
"We're proud to support Alberta Construction Magazine's 2012 Top Projects," said Craig Sneddon, Partner, KPMG's Real Estate Practice in Edmonton. "Each project demonstrates a commitment to design functionality, the environment, and innovation -- all contributing factors that have a positive impact on our local economy."
Details about all the winning projects are included in the Winter 2012 issue of Alberta Construction Magazine.
About the Alberta Construction Magazine Top Projects Awards
For the past 11 years, Alberta Construction Magazine has celebrated project excellence with its annual Top Projects Awards. Each December, winners are featured in the Winter issue of the quarterly magazine.
About Alberta Construction Magazine
For over 30 years, Alberta Construction Magazine has been Alberta's construction connection, focused on delivering balanced and relevant editorial coverage of the projects and people influencing Alberta's construction industry. Alberta Construction Magazine is owned by JuneWarren-Nickle's Energy Group, part of Glacier Media Group.
KPMG in Canada's Building Construction and Real Estate practice is the result of a 35-year effort to forge one of the largest and strongest full-service practices among the top professional services providers. We know the Alberta construction industry intimately. The industry knowledge that KPMG's professionals bring to each engagement helps to set us apart from other firms.
Our dedicated team of professionals across audit, tax and advisory works together to provide value to a wide range of public, private and institutional real estate clients in all sectors of the industry -- including construction, office, industrial, residential, seniors' housing and retail. We understand that each client has a unique set of issues and needs -- our team helps clients cut through complexity, deliver informed perspectives and clear solutions to help our clients compete, grow and succeed. kpmg.ca/realestate