The two presidential campaigns and allied groups spent a whopping total of $2.23 billion on the presidential election alone, according to a calculation for Bloomberg's Gregory Giroux.
The tabulation comes from looking at the two campaigns individually as well as the affiliated Super PACs and national party committees.
The Democrats spent a total of $1.10 billion re-election President Obama.
- The Obama campaign itself spent $733 million
- The Democratic National Committee spent $289 million
- Super PAC Priorities USA Action spent $79 million
The Republicans spent a total of $1.13 billion in the failed attempt to elect Mitt Romney
- The Romney campaign spent $479 million
- The Republican National Committee spent $381 million
- Super PAC Restore Our Future spent $154 million
- Super PAC American Crossroads spent $117 million (although some of that was spent House and Senate races)
All told, this was by far the most most expensive election in U.S. history.
More From Business Insider