Want to participate in a research study? Help shape the future of investing tools and earn a $60 gift card!
Have you been keeping an eye on United Security Bancshares's (NASDAQ:UBFO) upcoming dividend of US$0.11 per share payable on the 17 April 2019? Then you only have 4 days left before the stock starts trading ex-dividend on the 05 April 2019. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I examine United Security Bancshares's latest financial data to analyse its dividend characteristics.
5 checks you should use to assess a dividend stock
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does United Security Bancshares pass our checks?
United Security Bancshares has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 42%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. Cash flow is important because companies with strong cash flow can usually sustain higher payout ratios.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it's dividend stocks and their constant income stream. The reality is that it is too early to consider United Security Bancshares as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 2 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
In terms of its peers, United Security Bancshares produces a yield of 4.2%, which is high for Banks stocks.
If United Security Bancshares is in your portfolio for cash-generating reasons, there may be better alternatives out there. However, if you are not strictly just a dividend investor, the stock could still offer some interesting investment opportunities. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company's fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. Below, I've compiled three fundamental aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for UBFO’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for UBFO’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is UBFO worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it's not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether UBFO is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at email@example.com. This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned. Thank you for reading.