Currently on tour — as a headlining guest at the Hell Yes Fest in New Orleans on Oct. 16 before she makes her way to Florida, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, among a few other stops this fall — Sarah Silverman has been making people laugh (and gasp) for more than two decades with her razor-sharp wit and brutal honesty. No topic is too taboo for the New Hampshire native, who is also an actress, producer and writer, and her fearless delivery of intellectually stimulating comedy (often spiked with bathroom and bedroom humor) is often as refreshing as it is borderline, if not completely, offensive. Despite her penchant for making us laugh, Silverman also tackles serious topics, including the upcoming election.
One of Silverman’s current missions is to ensure that a Trump presidency doesn’t happen; she has been passionately encouraging people to vote for Hillary Clinton in November. Bill Maher recently — only half-jokingly — called her a “millennial with stamina.”
“I try to stay open,” Silverman tells Uproxx. “I think the second you stop listening to younger generations you’re old. I don’t like that ‘in my day’ shit. My day is today.”
Silverman was nice enough to take a few minutes from her busy schedule to answer a few questions from us.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Ginger ale with bitters is my fancy drink. Water straight-up (no ice) is my go-to.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
@iamkevincostner on Twitter [note: it’s a parody account].
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
Narcos, Match Game, Masters of Sex, and soon Walking Dead, baby!
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
My mom used to make pasta shells with butter and shredded jack cheese. It tasted like love. Yeah, so, that.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
Daily Beast, Mother Jones, Bipartisan Report, thinkprogress, New York Times, Time, The NY Daily News, The Christian Left, CNN.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
That’s not fair! So many songs — though right now “Clair De Lune” is my alarm and “Love You” by The Free Design is my phone ring.
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
Don’t squelch yourself for love — that’s not love.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
The Dojo restaurant menu [in New York City].
9. Dogs or cats?
Dogs (though I’ve a new appreciation for cats via “emergency kittens” on Twitter).
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Elvis Costello at the House of Blues or Jenny Lewis at Largo.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Maybe When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
When my mom died I was home in New Hampshire, and got up to speak at the funeral, and it wasn’t until then that I saw my friend Lizz Winstead was there. She had driven from Brooklyn — didn’t even tell me — she just found out where and got herself there, to pay her respects and in case I needed her. The second I saw her face I burst into tears. I felt so loved and supported. And lucky.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
What? Both. Don’t do that.
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Sleep really late. Make breakfast and butter coffee. Get my sweat on, shower, and watch some kind of limited series in its entirety with my boyfriend with a time out for food and sex.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Cape Fear (actually anything Scorsese), Bridesmaids, Limitless
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
The underdog in the last quarter of any close basketball game.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
A restaurant in New York City that is now closed called Popover’s. I never go to the Upper West Side, but Popover’s would get me there. Hot popovers like my mom used to make with strawberry butter … holy shit, I am literally salivating right now.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Don’t Think Twice. It was great.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?