ATLANTA, Sept. 09, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
- Funding and in-kind transport of urgently needed supplies in motion to support impacted communities in The Bahamas and the U.S.
- Response teams are bringing relief, recovery and reconstruction planning.
The UPS Foundation, which leads the global citizenship programs for UPS (UPS), announced today it has engaged its network of preeminent relief organizations and committed $1 million for Hurricane Dorian relief efforts. UPS and The UPS Foundation are working with the non-profit and United Nations relief organizations to deliver urgently-needed humanitarian supplies and support to communities in The Bahamas and the U.S. east coast impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
Confirmed as the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record, the storm continued to churn over The Bahamas for more than 48 hours, progressing at a mere one mile per hour, and generating massive flooding and destruction. The northwest islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama, home to 70,000 people, were the most impacted, with large areas entirely decimated by the wind and water. As the storm ripped up the east coast of the U.S., storm surges, tornadoes and widespread power outages accompanied its path. Search and rescue efforts continue as responders work their way through the affected communities.
On September 7th, a UPS humanitarian charter flight arrived at the international airport in Nassau, The Bahamas, delivering nearly 20 metric tons of emergency supplies for children and families left reeling by Hurricane Dorian. The shipment included shelter, hygiene and water purification emergency supplies provided by UNICEF and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
With a focus on both immediate and long-term relief, The UPS Foundation is working in collaboration with its network of disaster relief organizations to address the urgent needs created by the storm, including:
- American Red Cross, The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), and Bahamas Red Cross, to provide emergency support in The Bahamas and the U.S.
- UNICEF, providing safe water for over 9,500 children and families. The initial shipment included water tanks, 400,000 water purification tablets and other supplies.
- The Salvation Army, which is working to provide shelter, food distribution and assistance to first responders.
- World Food Programme, to provide them with logistics support as needed.
- St. Bernard Project (SBP), providing funding for recovery and reconstruction planning, and the Center for Disaster Philanthropy, for mid- to long-term recovery efforts in The Bahamas.
- Toolbank, providing tools for Team Rubicon and other voluntary agencies in the Bahamas. UPS is also standing by to transport the Toolbank Disaster Services Trailer to impacted communities along the U.S. east coast.
“It’s times like this when we are most grateful and honored to support the relief organizations and first responders helping to save lives and serve communities when they need us most,” said Eduardo Martinez, UPS chief diversity and inclusion officer and president of The UPS Foundation. “These efforts are just the beginning of our commitment to the long-term recovery of the impacted areas.”
UPS and The UPS Foundation are also coordinating in-kind shipments of shelter and medical supplies, hygiene kits, personal protection equipment, tools and other relief items in coordination with UNICEF, Good360, Toolbank USA, American Red Cross, IFRC, Salvation Army, and MAP International, among others.
UPS (UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including transporting packages and freight; facilitating international trade, and deploying advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. UPS is committed to operating more sustainably – for customers, the environment and the communities we serve around the world. Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. UPS was awarded America’s Best Customer Service company for Shipping and Delivery services by Newsweek magazine; Fortune magazine’s Most Valuable Brand in Transportation; and top rankings on the JUST 100 list for social responsibility, the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, and the Harris Poll Reputation Quotient, among other prestigious rankings and awards. The company can be found on the web at ups.com or pressroom.ups.com and its corporate blog can be found at longitudes.ups.com. The company’s sustainability eNewsletter, UPS Horizons, can be found at ups.com/sustainabilitynewsletter. Learn more about our sustainability efforts at ups.com/sustainability. To get UPS news direct, follow @UPS_News on Twitter. To ship with UPS, visit ups.com/ship.
About The UPS Foundation
Since its founding in 1907, UPS has built a legacy as a caring and responsible corporate citizen, supporting programs that provide long-term solutions to community needs. Founded in 1951, The UPS Foundation leads its global citizenship programs and is responsible for facilitating community involvement to local, national, and global communities. In 2018, UPS and its employees, active and retired, invested more than $114.9 million in charitable giving around the world. The UPS Foundation can be found on the web at UPS.com/Foundation and @UPS_Foundation on Twitter.