Airline Holding company US Airways Group Inc. (LCC) witnessed modest revenue growth for the month of Feb 2013. Consolidated revenue passenger miles or RPMs for the month crept up 2.4% from the prior-year quarter to 4,599.5 million. While domestic revenue from passenger miles and revenue from Latin region registered 2.5% and 5.4 year-over-year growth, respectively, Atlantic RPM dropped 1.5%.
Capacity or available seat miles (ASMs) were 5,704.1 million, down 1.2% year over year, with Atlantic decline of 10.2% offsetting the 3.9% increase in the Latin arena. Domestic ASMs inched down 0.1% compared with the year-ago period.
Load factor on the domestic front moved up 210 basis points (bps) and that for Atlantic region upped 560 bps, while it registered a 110 bps growth on the Latin field. On a consolidated basis, load factor stood at 80.6% compared with 77.9% recorded in Feb 2012.
For the first two months of this year, on a consolidated basis, US Airways generated RPMs of 9,639.7 million (up 3.7% year over year) and ASMs of 11,951.4 million (up 0.4% year over year), while load factor was 80.7%, reflecting an improvement of 260 basis points.
US Airways with the world's largest fleet of Airbus aircraft and via subsidiaries – US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express – operates over 3,000 daily flights to 198 communities across the globe.
In mid February, the board of directors of US Airways Group and AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines Inc. gave a nod to the pending merger agreement, paving the way for creating the largest global carrier. Following the completion of the deal, AMR stakeholders will control 72% interests of the newly merged company, while the remaining 28% will be owned by US Airways shareholders.
US Airways currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).
Other stocks operating within the airline sector that are worth considering are Ryanair Holdings Plc (RYAAY) – that holds a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy), and Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) and GOL Linhas A (GOL). Both the firms currently hold a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy).
More From Zacks.com