The U.S. Hemp Authority, an industry group responsible for the U.S. Hemp Authority Certification Program, announced the first awards of its Certification Seal Friday to companies meeting standards for quality and safety.
The organization was established in November and is funded by the U.S. Hemp Roundtable. It includes hemp industry leaders, as well as organizations such as the Hemp Industries Association and the American Herbal Products Association.
The group developed comprehensive guidance for growers and processors of hemp. The companies that were awarded the fist Certification Seals demonstrated their commitment to providing safe and accurately labeled hemp-derived products, such as fiber, seed and cannabidiol — CBD — products, according to the Hemp Authority.
The Cannabis Capital Conference is coming back to Toronto! Click here to learn how you can join Tim Seymour, Jon Najarian, Danny Moses, Alan Brochstein and many others.
The companies that received the certification are:
- CV Sciences Inc (OTC: CVSI) of San Diego, California
- HempMeds of San Diego
- Medterra CBD of Irvine, California
- Balanced Health Botanicals of Louisville, Colorado
- HD Distribution of Louisville, Colorado
- Bluebird Botanicals of Louisville, Colorado
- CW Hemp of Boulder, Colorado
- Metacam of Miramar, Florida
- GenCanna of Winchester, Kentucky
- Shell Farms of Winchester, Kentucky
- Nature’s Hemp Oil of Lexington, Kentucky
- Hempworx of Las Vegas, Nevada
- Barlean’s of Ferndale, Washington
Why It's Important
The purpose of the certification is to educate hemp farmers and processors about good manufacturing practices established by the FDA and good agricultural practices, the Hemp Authority said in a press release.
The certification is audited by Where Food Comes From Inc. (OTC: WFCF)'s division Validus, a provider of certification and verification services.
Since the legalization of hemp and hemp-derived CBD, many companies are expected to enter the market, which will increase competition. This certification allows companies to differentiate themselves and earn more customers by showing their commitment to delivering a high-quality product.
The Hemp Authority said it's developing an updated program, Guidance Plan 2.0, which will take into account input from farmers and certified companies to further improve the certification.
Cannex Capital Enters CBD Market Through Pure Ratios Holdings Acquisition
See more from Benzinga
- UC Berkeley Scientists Obtain THC, CBD From Yeast
- FDA Commissioner: Regulatory Process For CBD Edibles Kicks Off With April Hearings
© 2019 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.