The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 25,898.83 on Monday with a gain of 269.93 points or 1.05%. The S&P 500 closed at 2,878.39 for a gain of 31.28 points or 1.10%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 7,853.74 for a gain of 101.97 points or 1.32%. The VIX Volatility Index was lower at 19.27 for a loss of 0.60 points or -3.02%.
Monday's market movers
U.S. indexes closed higher Monday following news that China is interested in making a deal. After threats of a 30% tariff and blocked business dealings with the U.S., the Trump administration has reported that China's government has contacted the U.S. about seeking further negotiations. Positive sentiment from the weekend's G-7 Summit also helped to increase investor optimism.
Treasury yields rallied with stock gains Monday. The 30-year Treasury's yield increased to 2.039% with its price falling -25/32.
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- Durable goods orders increased 2.1% in July following an increase of 1.8%. Durable goods orders excluding transportation decreased 0.4% in July after an increase of 0.8%. Durable goods orders excluding defense increased 1.4% in July following an increase of 3.1%.
- The Chicago Fed National Activity Index decreased 0.36 in July following an increase of 0.03.
- The Treasury held auctions for three-month bills at a rate of 1.950% and six-month bills at a rate of 1.840%.
In the S&P 500, the technology and consumer staples sectors led gains. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led gains:
- Disney (NYSE:DIS) 1.93%
- Nike (NYSE:NKE) 1.79%
- Travelers (NYSE:TRV) 1.49%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,472.34 for a gain of 12.85 points or 0.88%. The S&P 600 closed at 905.91 for a gain of 9.41 points or 1.05%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 9,594.16 for a gain of 92.98 points or 0.98%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 8,922.01 for a gain of 87.17 points or 0.99%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,851.72 for a gain of 15.17 points or 0.83%; the S&P 100 at 1,271.85 for a gain of 14.94 points or 1.19%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,575.02 for a gain of 110.02 points or 1.47%; the Russell 3000 at 1,688.57 for a gain of 17.83 points or 1.07%; the Russell 1000 at 1,592.98 for a gain of 16.62 points or 1.05%; the Wilshire 5000 at 29,441.93 for a gain of 314.30 points or 1.08%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 686.60 for a gain of 5.44 points or 0.80%.
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.
- Warning! GuruFocus has detected 6 Warning Sign with DIS. Click here to check it out.
- DIS 15-Year Financial Data
- The intrinsic value of DIS
- Peter Lynch Chart of DIS