The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 25,896.44 on Monday with a loss of 391.00 points or -1.49%. The S&P 500 closed at 2,882.70 for a loss of 35.95 points or -1.23%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 7,863.41 for a loss of 95.73 points or -1.20%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 21.09 for a gain of 3.12 points or 17.36%.
Monday's market movers
U.S. indexes closed lower Monday with investors' focus primarily on China. Goldman Sachs downgraded U.S. gross domestic product growth, citing increased trade risks. China's yuan was fixed above the 7 to 1 level on Monday. Hong Kong protests that closed an airport also increased investors' concerns.
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- Consumer inflation expectations decreased to 2.59% from 2.67%.
- The Treasury held auctions for three-month bills at a rate of 1.960% and six-month bills at a rate of 1.890%.
- The Monthly Treasury Budget Statement for July showed a deficit of $120 billion following a deficit of $8.5 billion.
In the S&P 500, the financial, materials and consumer discretionary sectors led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led losses:
- Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) -2.65%
- Pfizer (NYSE:PFE) -2.61%
- United Technologies (NYSE:UTX) -2.45%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,494.46 for a loss of 18.58 points or -1.23%. The S&P 600 closed at 920.48 for a loss of 10.27 points or -1.10%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 9,680.01 for a loss of 137.21 points or -1.40%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9,076.44 for a loss of 121.28 points or -1.32%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,872.38 for a loss of 28.95 points or -1.52%; the S&P 100 at 1,272.21 for a loss of 15.44 points or -1.20%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,561.68 for a loss of 84.58 points or -1.11%; the Russell 3000 at 1,693.44 for a loss of 21.53 points or -1.26%; the Russell 1000 at 1,596.64 for a loss of 20.33 points or -1.26%; the Wilshire 5000 at 29,525.05 for a loss of 374.01 points or -1.25%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 688.18 for a loss of 8.40 points or -1.21%.
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.
- Warning! GuruFocus has detected 2 Warning Signs with GS. Click here to check it out.
- GS 15-Year Financial Data
- The intrinsic value of GS
- Peter Lynch Chart of GS