The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 29,423.31 on Thursday with a loss of 128.11 points or -0.43%. The S&P 500 closed at 3,373.94 for a loss of 5.51 points or -0.16%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 9,711.97 for a loss of 13.99 points or -0.14%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 14.15 for a gain of 0.41 points or 2.98%.
Thursday's market movers
U.S. indexes ended a three-day rally as investors returned to concerns over affects from the coronavirus. News reported that another 15,000 people have been infected.
On the earnings calendar:
- Nvidia (NVDA): Revenue of $3.11 billion increased 40.7% year over year and beat estimates by $130 million. Fourth-quarter GAAP earnings of $1.53 per share beat estimates by 19 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $1.89 beat estimates by 22 cents.
- Roku (ROKU): Revenue of $411.2 million increased 49.1% year over year and beat estimates by $18.51 million. A fourth-quarter GAAP earnings loss of 13 cents per share was in line with estimates.
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- The Consumer Price Index increased 0.1% in January following an increase of 0.2%. Year over year, the Consumer Price Index increased 2.5%.
- The Core Consumer Price Index excluding food and energy increased 0.2% in January following an increase of 0.1%. Year over year, the Core Consumer Price Index increased 2.3%.
- Jobless claims increased to 205,000, up from the previous week's 203,000. Continuing jobless claims decreased to 1,698,000 from 1,759,000.
- The Treasury held auctions for four-week bills at a rate of 1.56%, eight-week bills at a rate of 1.565% and 30-year bonds at a rate of 2.061%.
In the S&P 500, industrials and health care led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led losses:
- Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) -5.23%
- Dow Inc. (NYSE:DOW) -2.19%
- Pfizer (NYSE:PFE) -2.15%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,693.74 for a gain of 4.36 points or 0.26%. The S&P 600 closed at 1,023.47 for a gain of 3.75 points or 0.37%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 10,977.87 for a gain of 29.89 points or 0.27%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9,796.62 for a gain of 12.50 points or 0.13%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 2,097.29 for a gain of 5.94 points or 0.28%; the S&P 100 at 1,513.23 for a loss of 4.58 points or -0.30%; the Nasdaq 100 at 9,595.70 for a loss of 17.50 points or -0.18%; the Russell 3000 at 1,976.22 for a loss of 1.77 points or -0.089%; the Russell 1000 at 1,867.04 for a loss of 2.11 points or -0.11%; the Wilshire 5000 at 34,503.98 for a loss of 33.45 points or -0.097%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 757.90 for a loss of 3.03 points or -0.40%.
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.