The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 25,777.90 on Tuesday with a loss of 120.93 points or -0.47%. The S&P 500 closed at 2,869.16 for a loss of 9.22 points or -0.32%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 7,826.95 for a loss of 26.79 points or -0.34%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 20.20 for a gain of 0.88 points or 4.55%.
Tuesday's market movers
U.S. stocks sold off Tuesday, closing lower for the day. Investor confidence in trade talks between the U.S. and China faded with few details on any next steps in negotiations. The Treasury yield curve also showed inversion on Tuesday, worrying investors over global growth and a potential recession.
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index increased 0.3% in June following an increase of 0.6%. Year over year, the Index increased 2.1% following an increase of 2.4%.
- The FHFA House Price Index increased 0.2% in June following a 0.2% increase.
- The Conference Board's Consumer Confidence Index decreased to 135.1 in August from 135.8.
- The Treasury held an auction for two-year notes at a rate of 1.516%.
In the S&P 500, the energy, financial and health care sectors led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led losses:
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) -3.43%
- Pfizer (NYSE:PFE) -1.39%
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) -1.22%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,456.04 for a loss of 19.96 points or -1.35%. The S&P 600 closed at 895.22 for a loss of 10.69 points or -1.18%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 9,493.84 for a loss of 100.32 points or -1.05%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 8,807.55 for a loss of 114.46 points or -1.28%.
Read more here:
- Stock Market in the Red on Tuesday
- Dow 100,000? It's a Matter of When, Not If
- What Exactly Is the Trump Administration's Trade Policy?
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,832.63 for a loss of 18.76 points or -1.01%; the S&P 100 at 1,268.06 for a loss of 3.73 points or -0.29%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,566.03 for a loss of 8.99 points or -0.12%; the Russell 3000 at 1,681.17 for a loss of 7.27 points or -0.43%; the Russell 1000 at 1,587.13 for a loss of 5.84 points or -0.37%; the Wilshire 5000 at 29,301.26 for a loss of 137.08 points or -0.47%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 681.53 for a loss of 5.07 points or -0.74%.
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.
- Warning! GuruFocus has detected 2 Warning Sign with UNH. Click here to check it out.
- UNH 15-Year Financial Data
- The intrinsic value of UNH
- Peter Lynch Chart of UNH