The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,788.10 on Tuesday with a loss of 39.54 points or -0.15%. The S&P 500 closed at 2,995.99 for a loss of 10.73 points or -0.36%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 8,104.30 for a loss of 58.69 points or -0.72%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 14.46 for a gain of 0.46 points or 3.29%.
Tuesday's market movers
U.S. indexes ended lower Tuesday after starting the week with a positive gain. The Oct. 21 week is one of the busiest on the third-quarter earnings calendar. Investors continued to watch earnings with top results from:
- United Technologies (NYSE:UTX): Revenue of $19.5 billion increased 18.1% year over year and beat estimates by $190 million. Third-quarter GAAP earnings per share of $1.33 missed estimates by 53 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $2.21 per share beat estimates by 18 cents.
- Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG): Revenue of $17.8 billion increased 6.7% year over year and beat estimates by $370 million. First-quarter GAAP earnigs of $1.36 per share beat estimates by 12 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $1.37 beat estimates by 13 cents.
- Travelers (NYSE:TRV): Earned premium of $7.18 billion increased 4.4% year over year and beat estimates by $10 million. Third-quarter GAAP earnings per share of $1.50 missed estimates by 83 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $1.43 per share missed estimates by 92 cents.
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD): Revenue of $5.43 billion increased 1.1% year over year and missed estimates by $40 million. Third-quarter GAAP earnings per share of $2.11 missed estimates by 11 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $2.11 per share missed estimates by 10 cents.
- Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB): Revenue of $3.6 billion increased 5% year over year and beat estimates by $70 million. Third-quarter GAAP earnings per share of $8.39 beat estimates by 61 cents and non-GAAP earnings of $9.17 per share beat estimates by 90 cents. The stock gained 26.09%.
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- Existing home sales decreased 2.2% in September to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.38 million.
- The Treasury held an auction for two-year notes at a rate of 1.594%.
In the S&P 500, technology led losses and energy led gains. In the S&P 100, the following stocks led gains and losses:
- Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB) 26.52%
- Schlumberger (NYSE:SLB) 3.96%
- Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) 3.55%
- General Electric (NYSE:GE) 2.90%
- Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) 2.54%
- Mastercard (NYSE:MA) -4.68%
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) -4.58%
- Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) -4.32%
- PayPal (NASDAQ:PYPL) -4.18%
- Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) -3.80%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,550.87 for a gain of 0.73 points or 0.047%. The S&P 600 closed at 961.41 for a gain of 2.56 points or 0.27%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 9,829.77 for a loss of 15.35 points or -0.16%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9,582.85 for a gain of 41.04 points or 0.43%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,947.08 for a loss of 0.58 points or -0.030%; the S&P 100 at 1,327.59 for a loss of 4.00 points or -0.30%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,874.62 for a loss of 65.72 points or -0.83%; the Russell 3000 at 1,753.85 for a loss of 6.34 points or -0.36%; the Russell 1000 at 1,653.38 for a loss of 6.45 points or -0.39%; the Wilshire 5000 at 30,629.86 for a loss of 100.39 points or -0.33%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 732.03 for a gain of 2.40 points or 0.33%.
Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.