The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 28,583.68 on Tuesday with a loss of 119.70 points or -0.42%. The S&P 500 closed at 3,237.18 for a loss of 9.10 points or -0.28%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 9,068.58 for a loss of 2.88 points or -0.03%. The VIX Volatility Index was lower at 13.79 for a loss of 0.06 points or -0.43%.
Tuesday's market movers
Middle East conflicts kept indexes mostly lower Tuesday. A stampede at the funeral procession of Iran's fallen military leader killed approximately 40 people. Meanwhile, threats from Iran and the potential expelling of U.S. troops in the region also remained top factors.
In other news:
- The Consumer Electronics Show began in Las Vegas, running through Jan. 10.
- The balance of trade report for November showed a deficit of $43.1 billion, improving from $46.9 billion. Exports were $209 billion and imports were $252 billion.
- Factory orders decreased 0.7% in November following an increase of 0.2%. Factory orders excluding transportation increased 0.3%.
- The ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI increased to 55.0 in December from 53.9. Separately, the ISM Non-Manufacturing Business Activity Index increased to 57.2 from 51.6, the ISM Non-Manufacturing New Orders Index decreased to 54.9 from 57.1, the ISM Non-Manufacturing Prices Index was unchanged at 58.5 and the ISM Non-Manufacturing Employment Index was lower at 55.2 down from 55.5.
- The Treasury held an auction for three-year notes at a rate of 1.567%.
In the S&P 500, real estate and consumer staples led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led losses:
- Merck (NYSE:MRK) -2.66%
- JPMorgan (NYSE:JPM) -1.70%
- Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) -1.67%
In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,658.31 for a loss of 4.95 points or -0.30%. The S&P 600 closed at 1,014.09 for a loss of 5.67 points or -0.56%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 10,654.66 for a loss of 19.55 points or -0.18%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9,823.63 for a loss of 48.62 points or -0.49%.
Other notable indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 2,049.34 for a loss of 4.82 points or -0.23%; the S&P 100 at 1,447.36 for a loss of 5.45 points or -0.38%; the Nasdaq 100 at 8,846.45 for a loss of 2.07 points or -0.023%; the Russell 3000 at 1,896.01 for a loss of 4.89 points or -0.26%; the Russell 1000 at 1,788.77 for a loss of 4.57 points or -0.25%; the Wilshire 5000 at 33,082.75 for a loss of 82.56 points or -0.25%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 747.15 for a loss of 0.77 points or -0.10%.
GuruFocus 15-year anniversary promotion
The holiday season is here, and so is GuruFocus's 15-year anniversary! In order to celebrate, we are offering an exclusive holiday discount of up to 30% off on our GuruFocus Premium Membership.
Join now to get GuruFocus Premium membership for only $399/Year! In addition, save an extra $100 when you upgrade to our PremiumPlus Membership, and enjoy $100 off the price of each additional region you add to the subscription.
Don't miss out on this once-in-a-decade deal! You can sign up for the discount price by clicking this link. Happy holidays!
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.