The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 26,403.28 on Friday with a gain of 41.03 points or 0.16%. The S&P 500 index closed at 2,926.46 for a gain of 1.88 points or 0.06%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 7,962.88 for a loss of -10.51 points or -0.13%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 18.86 for a gain of 0.98 points or 5.48%.
For the week, the Dow Jones gained 1.9%, the S&P 500 index gained 1.8% and the Nasdaq gained 1.6%. For the month, the Dow Jones was down approximately -1.7%, the S&P 500 fell -1.8% and the Nasdaq reported a loss of -2.7%. Year to date, the Nasdaq is up 20%, the S&P 500 is up 16.7% and the Dow Jones has a gain of 13.0%.
Friday's market movers
Investors were cautious in trading going into the Labor Day holiday weekend. U.S. indexes ended Friday mostly flat. Newly imposed tariffs for China will go into effect on Sunday, Sept. 1, with a 15% tax on $125 billion worth of goods.
In the S&P 500, the materials and industrials sectors led gains while consumer discretionary and consumer staples led losses. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led gains and losses:
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) 1.39%
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) 1.36%
- Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) -1.15%
- Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) -1.00%
Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:
- The Bureau of Economic Analysis released its July Personal Income and Outlays report. Personal income increased 0.1% in July following an increase of 0.5%. Personal spending in July increased 0.6% following a 0.3% increase. The PCE Price Index increased 0.2% in July and 1.4% year over year. The Core PCE Price Index increased 0.2% in July and 1.6% year over year.
- The Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index decreased to 89.8 from 98.4.
- The Baker Hughes North American oil rig count decreased to 1,054 from 1,055.
In small-caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1494.83 for a loss of -1.89 points or -0.13%. The S&P 600 closed at 918.74 for a loss of -1.30 points or -0.14%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 9718.46 for a loss of -11.82 points or -0.12%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9039.68 for a gain of 13.61 points or 0.15%.
Other Notable Indexes
Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,881.20 for a gain of 3.99 points or 0.21%; the S&P 100 at 1,292.38 for a gain of 0.61 points or 0.047%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,691.00 for a loss of -11.31 points or -0.15%; the Russell 3000 at 1,715.24 for a gain of 0.82 points or 0.048%; the Russell 1000 at 1,618.61 for a gain of 0.97 points or 0.060%; the Wilshire 5000 at 29,895.75 for a gain of 7.85 points or 0.026%; and the Dow Jones US Select Dividend Index at 697.30 for a gain of 9.73 points or 1.42%.
This article first appeared on GuruFocus.
- Warning! GuruFocus has detected 3 Warning Signs with WBA. Click here to check it out.
- WBA 15-Year Financial Data
- The intrinsic value of WBA
- Peter Lynch Chart of WBA