U.S. Markets closed

US Indexes Rebound to Close Higher Tuesday

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 27,110.80 on Tuesday with a gain of 33.98 points or 0.13%. The S&P 500 closed at 3,005.70 for a gain of 7.74 points or 0.26%. The Nasdaq Composite closed at 8,186.02 for a gain of 32.47 points or 0.40%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 14.41 for a loss of 0.26 points or -1.77%.

Tuesday's market movers

Investors were watching a multitude of influences Tuesday, with stocks ultimately rebounding from two down days to close higher. The Federal Reserve started its two-day policy meeting Tuesday with the CME Fed Watch Tool showing a 52.7% chance of no rate change and a 47.3% chance of a 25-basis-point decrease to the federal funds rate.

Internationally, the Trump administration announced a trade deal with Japan, which involves trade tariffs and digital trade. In Saudi Arabia, the country announced it has restored 50% of oil production damaged from an attack with a fast recovery planned for the next few days and weeks. Oil prices capped their large gains and the S&P 500 energy sector was down 1.39%.

Economic reports affecting market trading included the following:

  • The Federal Reserve's Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization report showed industrial production increasing 0.6% in August after a 0.1% decrease. Year over year, industrial production was up 0.4% following an increase of 0.5%. Manufacturing production increased 0.5% in August and decreased 0.4% year over year. Capacity utilization was reported at 77.9%, an increase from 77.5%.
  • The NAHB Housing Market Index increased to 68 in September from 67.
  • The Treasury International Capital report for July showed overall net capital flows of $43.8 billion, up from $21 billion. Foreign bond investments were $11 billion, increasing from -$7.7 billion.

In the S&P 500, the real estate and utilities sectors led gains. In the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the following stocks led gains:

  • Boeing (NYSE:BA) 1.45%
  • McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) 1.18%
  • American Express (NYSE:AXP) 1.18%

Small-cap stocks

In small caps, the Russell 2000 closed at 1,578.29 for a loss of 6.31 points or -0.40%. The S&P 600 closed at 976.60 for a loss of 2.59 points or -0.26%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Growth Index closed at 10,077.13 for a loss of 19.11 points or -0.19%. The Dow Jones U.S. Small-Cap Value Index closed at 9,557.75 for a loss of 45.84 points or -0.48%.

Other notable indexes

Other notable index closes included the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at 1,959.49 for a loss of 6.60 points or -0.34%; the S&P 100 at 1,327.12 for a gain of 2.82 points or 0.21%; the Nasdaq 100 at 7,888.79 for a gain of 36.37 points or 0.46%; the Russell 3000 at 1,764.50 for a gain of 3.80 points or 0.22%; the Russell 1000 at 1,662.06 for a gain of 4.31 points or 0.26%; the Wilshire 5000 at 30,772.70 for a gain of 64.48 points or 0.21%; and the Dow Jones U.S. Select Dividend Index at 729.03 for a loss of 0.69 points or -0.095%.

Not a Premium Member of GuruFocus? Sign up for a free 7-day trial here.

This article first appeared on GuruFocus.