Alexei Nikolsky / AP
A helicopter jump might not have been the most special part of Former President George H.W. Bush's birthday on Thursday. Bush also got a personal phone call and gift from Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Bush spokesman Jim McGrath confirmed the interaction to Business Insider.
"Yes, they spoke at 2 p.m.," he wrote. "President Putin also sent a portrait. ... It is a portrait of President Bush as a young Navy ensign in his dress whites."
The Kremlin's official English-language Twitter feed also wished Bush well Thursday afternoon.
"Vladimir Putin congratulated George W. Bush on the 90th anniversary," the Kremlin said. (George W. Bush is actually the elder Bush's son.)
The younger Bush famously painted a portrait of Putin.
Update (4:15 p.m.): McGrath told Business Insider the portrait was a painting by the Russian contemporary artist Ilya Glazunov.
More From Business Insider
- Watch George H.W. Bush Jump Out Of A Helicopter To Celebrate His Birthday
- Hillary Clinton Takes A Big Shot At Vladimir Putin
- BODY LANGUAGE EXPERT: Putin Appeared 'Agitated' During Meeting With Obama
- The French Government Posted A Video Of Obama's Meeting With Putin
- Obama And Putin Just Spoke For The First Time In Months, And A Ceasefire In Ukraine Is Now On The Table
- Politics & Government
- President Putin
- George W. Bush
- President George H.W. Bush
- Business Insider