- Walmart is surging after crushing earnings estimates Thursday morning, adding about $12 billion to the wealth of the Walton family.
- An investment of $1,000 at the start of 1980 would be worth over $1.9 million today.
- Watch Walmart stock trade in real time here.
Walmart's stock price is surging after the company announced better-than-expected earnings results Thursday morning. As a result, the Walton family — the descendants of the retail mega-giant's founder — gained about $12 billion in wealth Thursday morning.
And an investor in the company decades ago would have made a very nice return on that bet.
According to Yahoo Finance, Walmart's split- and dividend-adjusted closing stock price on January 2, 1980 was a little over $0.05. As of 1:15 PM ET Thursday, Walmart was trading just shy of $99 per share, up nearly 10% on the day.
The chart below shows the value over time of a $1,000 investment made in Walmart at the start of 1980. As of Thursday afternoon, that investment would be worth over $1.9 million:
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Yahoo Finanace
- I've used the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X — and the winner is clear
- I spent 5 years studying rich people, and here are the 9 best pieces of advice I can give you about money
- The legendary investor who predicted the past 2 bubbles breaks down how the 9-year bull market will end