September 11, 2013: U.S. markets opened mixed on Wednesday morning with the Nasdaq Composite trailing as investors reacted to the new iPhone products announced yesterday by Apple Inc. (AAPL). Analysts downgraded the stock for reasons of sentiment or lowered expectations.
Asian and European markets closed mixed today, while Latin American markets closed lower.
Thursday’s calendar includes the following data releases and events (all times Eastern):
- 8:30 a.m. - New claims for unemployment benefits
- 8:30 a.m. - Import and export prices
- 10:30 a.m. - EIA weekly natural gas storage report
- 1:00 p.m. - 30-year note auction
- 2:00 p.m. - U.S. Treasury budget
- 4:30 p.m. - Fed balance sheet and money supply
Here are the closing bell levels for Wednesday:
- S&P500 1,689.05 (+5.08; +0.30%)
- DJIA 15,326.22 (+135.16; +0.89%)
- NASDAQ 3,725.01 (-4.01; -0.11%)
- 10YR TNOTE 2.917% (+0.4375)
- Gold $1,363.80 (-0.20; flat)
- WTI Crude oil $107.56 (+0.17; +0.2%)
- Euro/Dollar: 1.3269 (+0.0047; +0.35%)
Stocks on the move: Apple shares are down 5.4% at $467.89. Harvest Natural Resources Inc. (HNR) is up 26.8% at $5.26 on a deal to sell the company’s Venezuelan assets and spin-off a new company to current shareholders. Galectin Therapeutics Inc. (GALT) is up 24.7% at $10.69 after receiving a patent for liver disease treatment. ReneSola Ltd. (SOL) is down 21.5% at $4.31 after announcing a secondary ADS offering.
Big Earnings Movers: Coldwater Creek Inc. (CWTR) is down 30.3% at $1.91 after a dismal earnings report after markets closed last night.
In all, 165 stocks put up new 52-week highs today, while 56 stocks posted new lows.