U.S. Markets closed

Wexford Youths 5-4 Galway United: Youths keep survival hopes alive

The 34-year-old has penned a two-year deal with the Connacht club, bringing an end to a five-year association with Wexford Youths

Wexford Youths kept their survival hopes alive with 5-4 victory over Galway Utd in a nine goal thriller. Wexford enjoyed a 5-0 advantage midway through the second half in a crazy game which saw Galway almost produce the comeback of the season.

Wexford Youths took the lead after three minutes when Lee Chin moved to the centre of midfield played a lovely through ball that found Aidan Keenan.

The heavens opened soon after with a torrential downpour aided by thunder and lighting making conditions difficult for both sides. However, to their credit the weather did little to dampen the Wexford attack and they nearly extended their lead through Chin. Chin’s header from a corner was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Kevin Horgan in the Galway net.

However, the Galway keeper could do nothing to stop Youths second goal of the game. Galway’s Kevin Devaney played a poor back pass towards his keeper and Danny Furlong intercepted the ball and slotted past Horgan to extend the home sides lead.

Wexford would not have to wait long for their next goal when just after a minute after their second goal, Conor Whittle added a third.

Just before the break Whittle, nearly added his own second when lovely interplay between himself and Furlong was only denied by the feet of Horgan.

The second half was more of the same both in terms of the weather and Wexford’s attacking play. Youths added their fourth goal of the game when a Craig McCabe throw in found Lee Chin whose flicked header fell to Andrew O’Connor who stuck the ball past a hapless Horgan.

Galway were the architects of Wexford’s fifth just a minute later when some terrible defending by Stephen Walsh let Furlong in for his second of the game.

At that stage Wexford looked well on their way to a comfortable victory. Then Galway scored four goals in a traumatic 14-minute spell for the Youths defense.

Devaney made it 5-1 with a superbly struck shot that found the top corner of the net. Aidan Friel turned a dangerous Galway cross into his own goal, before Devaney struck again, finding the bottom corner to cut the deficit to two goals.

Substitute Conor Melody then made it 5-4 with an effort from the edge of the area to set up a tense final 15 minutes. That would be as close as the visitors got as Wexford held on for victory.

The win sees Wexford sitting six points behind Finn Harps ahead of the match between the two next week.