Attention dividend hunters! The York Water Company (NASDAQ:YORW) will be distributing its dividend of US$0.17 per share on the 15 January 2019, and will start trading ex-dividend in 4 days time on the 28 December 2018. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I take a deeper dive into York Water’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend attributes.
How I analyze a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is it paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Can it afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does York Water pass our checks?
York Water has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 65%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When thinking about whether a dividend is sustainable, another factor to consider is the cash flow. A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. In the case of YORW it has increased its DPS from $0.50 to $0.69 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. These are all positive signs of a great, reliable dividend stock.
Compared to its peers, York Water generates a yield of 2.3%, which is high for Water Utilities stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
With these dividend metrics in mind, I definitely rank York Water as a strong income stock, and is worth further research for anyone who considers dividends an important part of their portfolio strategy. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. Below, I’ve compiled three pertinent aspects you should further research:
- Valuation: What is YORW worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether YORW is currently mispriced by the market.
- Management Team: An experienced management team on the helm increases our confidence in the business – take a look at who sits on York Water’s board and the CEO’s back ground.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.