For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL –August 9, 2019 – Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks recently featured in the blog include: Kinross Gold Corp. KGC, Alamos Gold Inc. AGI, Royal Gold Inc. RGLD, B2Gold Corp. BTG, Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd. KL and Franco-Nevada Corp. FNV.
Here are highlights from Thursday’s Analyst Blog:
Gold Surpasses Stock Returns on Trade Jitters: 6 Top Picks
Gold prices spiked to their highest level in more than six years on Aug 7 as the trade-related tussle between the United States and China aggravated, intensifying concerns of a global economic slowdown. On that day, the central banks of three major emerging markets -- India, New Zealand and Thailand -- cut interest rates to combat more aggressively against an impending global recession.
Gold Price Skyrockets
Gold price climbed to more than 1,500 per ounce for the first time since April 2013 on concerns of U.S. and global recession as well as anticipation of market participants for further rate cuts.
On Aug 7, gold futures for December Delivery surged 2.2% to $1,522.70 per ounce. Spot gold price also soared 2.4% to 1,508.80 an ounce. Year to date, return to gold jumped more than 18%, surpassing the market’s benchmark S&P 500 Index’s gain of a little over 15%.
The lower the interest rates, the lower will be the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding bullion, making gold attractive for investors holding other currencies. Buying pressure on gold is likely to remain firm as investors will focus on precious metals as a store of wealth and hedge against market turmoil. As per Goldman Sachs Group, gold price may go up to 1,600 in the next six months.
Is China Heading for Currency War Against the United States?
Following President Donald Trump’s tweet dated Aug 1 to impose 10% tariff on a new set of $300 billion of Chinese exports effective Sep 1, the Asian economic super power allowed its currency yuan to fell below 7 to a U.S. dollar for the first time since 2008 on Aug 5. Lowering yuan’s price, China will make its goods attractive in the United States, enabling it to make up for some tariff-related revenue losses.
This resulted in mayhem on Wall Street, prompting the U.S. government to declare China as a currency manipulator for the first time since 1994. On Aug 7, China steadied its currency, setting the midpoint slightly above the psychological barrier of 7 to a dollar.
However, on Aug 8, the People’s Bank of China fixed yuan’s midpoint at 7.0039 per dollar, its weakest level since 2008. In early morning trade, onshore yuan was trading at 7.0429 per dollar while offshore yuan climbed to 7.0703 a dollar. Notably, the People’s Bank of China allows yuan to vary at a 2% band around its midpoint every day.
Yields on Government Bonds Plummet Globally
Market participants are moving to safe-haven sovereign bonds from risky assets like equities. This results in a rally of government bonds’ prices and plunging yields. On Aug 7, the yield on benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury Note dropped to 1.6%, the lowest in nearly three years before closing at 1.7%.
Yield on 10-year German bunds fell to a record low of negative 0.6%. Yields on 10-year French, Dutch and Japanese bonds also entered into negative territory. British 10-year bond fell to its lowest level ever, yielding just around 0.5%.
Notably, at the end of 2018, around $8 trillion was invested in bonds with negative returns. However, this figure has increased substantially to $15 trillion so far in 2019. This clearly indicates worldwide recessionary fears among market participants.
Market Looks Forward for Fed’s Next Move
On Jul 31, Fed cut the benchmark interest rate by a 25 basis point to a range of 2-2.25% for the first time in more than a decade. However, market participants are expecting one or two more cuts this year. As of Aug 7, per CME FedWatch, there is 65% probability of a 25 basis point cut and 35% probability of a 50 basis point cut in benchmark interest rate further in September.
Lingering trade conflict with China, slowdown in the global economy especially in the manufacturing sector, gradually deteriorating business confidence in the United Sates and muted inflation in both domestic and international markets are major concerns for the central bank. Fed Chair Jerome Powell reiterated his stance to do whatever needed to sustain U.S. economic expansion.
Our Top Picks
At this stage, it will be prudent to invest in gold stocks with strong growth potential. We have narrowed down our search to six such stocks, each of which carries a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy). You can see the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank stocks here.
All six stocks skyrocketed in the past three months despite volatility and still have upside left.
Kinross Gold Corp.engages in the acquisition, exploration, and development of gold properties in the United States, the Russian Federation, Brazil, Chile, Ghana and Mauritania. The company has expected earnings growth of 110% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 61.5% over the last 30 days. The stock has jumped 64.3% in the past three months.
Alamos Gold Inc.engages in the acquisition, exploration, development, and extraction of gold deposits in North America. It also explores for silver and precious metals. The company has expected earnings growth of 280% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 46.2% over the last 30 days. The stock has jumped 56.1% in the past three months.
Royal Gold Inc.acquires and manages precious metal streams, royalties and related interests, with the primary focus on gold. The company has expected earnings growth of 40.5% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 8.2% over the last 30 days. The stock has surged 46.5% in the past three months.
B2Gold Corp.explores and develops mineral properties for gold deposits in Nicaragua, the Philippines, Mali, Colombia, Burkina Faso and Namibia. The company has expected earnings growth of 12.5% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 5.9% over the last 30 days. The stock has surged 46.5% in the past three months.
Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd.engages in the provision of mining and mineral exploration. It focuses on gold assets primarily in Canada and Australia. The company has expected earnings growth of 63.2% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 7.2% over the last 30 days. The stock has soared 39.9% in the past three months.
Franco-Nevada Corp.is a gold-focused royalty and stream company with additional interests in platinum group metals and other resource assets. The company has expected earnings growth of 21.4% for the current year. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for the current year has improved by 6.8% over the last 30 days. The stock has soared 26.5% in the past three months.
Biggest Tech Breakthrough in a Generation
Be among the early investors in the new type of device that experts say could impact society as much as the discovery of electricity. Current technology will soon be outdated and replaced by these new devices. In the process, it’s expected to create 22 million jobs and generate $12.3 trillion in activity.
A select few stocks could skyrocket the most as rollout accelerates for this new tech. Early investors could see gains similar to buying Microsoft in the 1990s. Zacks’ just-released special report reveals 7 stocks to watch. The report is only available for a limited time.
See 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Kinross Gold Corporation (KGC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Royal Gold, Inc. (RGLD) : Free Stock Analysis Report
B2Gold Corp (BTG) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Alamos Gold Inc. (AGI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Franco-Nevada Corporation (FNV) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd. (KL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research