For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – July 2, 2012 – Zacks.com releases the list of companies likely to issue earnings surprises. This week’s list includes Acuity Brands (AYI), JDA Software (JDAS), International Speedway (ISCA) and Xyratex (XRTX).
To see more earnings analysis, visit http://at.zacks.com/?id=3207.
Every day, Zacks.com makes 4 stock picks available, free of charge. To see them, go to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3567.
Economic Focus in Holiday-Shortened Week
Announcements out of the Euro-zone summit have significantly brought down concerns about that region, at least for now. (See here for a focused discussion.)
Attention now shifts to the domestic scene, where the holiday-shortened week is chock full of material economic reports, with the June non-farm payroll report giving us a good sense of developments in the labor market. Other key reports include the manufacturing and non-manufacturing ISM surveys.
We don’t have much on the earnings front next week, with only a handful of lesser-known companies reporting results. The reporting cycle gets fully underway the following week when Alcoa (AA) comes out with its quarterly results. Given the overall low expectations for the second quarter, we will likely see a replay of the first quarter results.
Monday - 7/2
- We will get the June Manufacturing ISM report after the market opens, with expectations of the index declining to 52.5 from May’s 53.5 level. The Chicago PMI report, which historically has had a strong correlation with the national manufacturing ISM reading, came roughly in-line with expectations on Friday.
- We also have the May Construction Spending report coming out at the same time as the ISM report. The expectation is for construction spending to come down from April’s 0.3% growth pace.
- The only notable earnings release this morning is from lighting solutions provider Acuity Brands (AYI) before the open.
Tuesday - 7/3
- We will get the May Factory Orders report after the market opens, with expectations of 0.1% growth following 0.6% drop in March.
- We will also be getting the June motor vehicle sales numbers throughout the day, with the annualized sales pace in June expected to increase to 14 million from May’s 13.8 million pace.
- The only notable earnings release this day is from JDA Software (JDAS), after the close.
Wednesday - 7/4
- July 4th holiday.
Thursday - 7/5
- We have a busy day of economic releases, with the June ADP report and the weekly Jobless Claims data coming out in the morning, while the non-manufacturing ISM report coming out after the market opens.
- The ADP report is the last major release before Friday’s jobs report and will set the tone for market expectations for the Friday number.
- The Non-Manufacturing ISM report is expected to pullback modestly from May’s 53.7 level.
- International Speedway (ISCA), the motorsports promoter, will report results in the morning, while U.K.-based tech company Xyratex (XRTX) will report after the close.
Friday - 7/6
- The June non-farm payroll report is expected to bring in 100K jobs following the 69K jobs tally in May. The unemployment rate is expected to remain unchanged at 8.2%.
- Following three months of disappointing jobs reports, expectations have come down significantly. But it will be interesting to see if even these lowered expectations will be met on Friday.
Sheraz Mian is the Director of Research for Zacks.com.
About the Zacks Rank
Since 1988, the Zacks Rank has proven that "Earnings estimate revisions are the most powerful force impacting stock prices." Since inception in 1988, #1 Rank Stocks have generated an average annual return of +28%. During the 2000-2002 bear market, Zacks #1 Rank stocks gained +43.8%, while the S&P 500 tumbled -37.6%. Also note that the Zacks Rank system has just as many Strong Sell recommendations (Rank #5) as Strong Buy recommendations (Rank #1). Since 1988, Zacks Rank #5 stocks have significantly underperformed the S&P 500 (+3% versus +10%). Thus, the Zacks Rank system allows investors to truly manage portfolio trading effectively.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter offers continuous coverage of the industries and the stocks poised to outperform the market. Subscribe to this free newsletter today by visiting http://at.zacks.com/?id=4988.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978 by Len Zacks. As a PhD from MIT Len knew he could find patterns in stock market data that would lead to superior investment results. Amongst his many accomplishments was the formation of his proprietary stock picking system; the Zacks Rank, which continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros by going to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3568.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZacksInvestmentResearch
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investors should always research companies and securities before making any investments. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security.
Contact: Sheraz Mian
More From Zacks.com