For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – December 20, 2018 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by cks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Please use the Soundcloud link from this URL for the PR. Thanks: https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/343782/which-energy-stocks-are-insiders-buying-like-crazy)
Which Energy Stocks Are Insiders Buying Like Crazy?
Welcome to Episode #159 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is going solo to discuss the oil plunge and the energy stocks.
With the energy stocks down, in some cases, more than 50%, some insiders have rushed to buy the beaten down shares.
Where should you be looking for energy deals?
The most obvious place would be in the exploration and production companies, the “E&Ps.” These are the most sensitive to the move in crude prices.
They’ve been sold off, so they’re likely to be the first to recover.
Where Can You Find the Insider Buys?
1. Anyone can find the insider transactions on sec.gov.
2. Put in the ticker you are interested in in the company information box.
3. Then click on the “insider transactions” link.
4. It will give you a list of all the transactions, including the sells, awards, gifts and purchases.
But Tracey has been running screens to find the best insider buys. Over the last few months some of the largest insider buys she has ever seen have occurred in the energy stocks.
Are the Insiders Buying E&P Stocks?
1. Diamondback Energy FANG is one of the largest players in the Permian Basin. Shares are down over 30% year-to-date. But it hasn’t seen any insider buying over the prior 2 months.
2. Pioneer Natural Resources PXD is also one of the other big Permian players. Shares are down “just” 22.6% but are at new 52-week lows. The insiders have been on the sidelines there too.
3. Berry Petroleum (BRY) is headquartered in California and focuses on the Western states. Two insiders bought shares in December, which have now fallen 32% year-to-date. It’s trading with a forward P/E of just 7 and is paying a dividend currently yielding 4.6%.
4. Magnolia Oil & Gas MGY saw the CEO and the General Counsel both buy shares in Dec 2018 even though shares are only down 13% year-to-date. This company is “new” in 2018 so there isn’t much share history though.
5. Parsley Energy PE drills in the Delaware and Midland Basins of the Permian. Three insiders bought shares in late November through early December. Shares have continued to sink, though, and are now down 47% year-to-date. It trades with a forward P/E of only 9.9.
At some of the E&Ps, more than a dozen insiders have stepped in to buy in the last 2 months.
This sends a powerful signal about the shares.
Which E&Ps have seen the most buying? And what else should you know about the big insider cluster buys in the energy stocks?
Tune into this week’s podcast to find out.
Today's Stocks from Zacks' Hottest Strategies
It's hard to believe, even for us at Zacks. But while the market gained +21.9% in 2017, our top stock-picking screens have returned +115.0%, +109.3%, +104.9%, +98.6%, and +67.1%.
And this outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. Over the years it has been remarkably consistent. From 2000 - 2017, the composite yearly average gain for these strategies has beaten the market more than 19X over. Maybe even more remarkable is the fact that we're willing to share their latest stocks with you without cost or obligation.
See Them Free>>
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Parsley Energy, Inc. (PE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Diamondback Energy, Inc. (FANG) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Pioneer Natural Resources Company (PXD) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Magnolia Oil & Gas Corp (MGY) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research