For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – September 6, 2018 – Zacks Market Edge is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here: (https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/321461/burger-stocks-tasty-or-not)
Burger Stocks: Hot or Not?
Welcome to Episode #145 of the Zacks Market Edge Podcast.
Every week, host and Zacks stock strategist, Tracey Ryniec, will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life.
In this episode, Tracey is joined by Zacks Ryan McQueeney, editor of the Income Investor podcast host and host of Zacks Free Lunch, the live streaming stock show, to discuss one of Tracey’s favorite topics: the burger stocks.
In 2013-2014, restaurant IPOs were all the rage, especially the burger chains. It seemed like every restaurant group was launching a premium burger concept and some, which were successful in their own regional markets, were testing the IPO market.
After launching as hot IPOs, it’s been tough going for some of the recent chains. These are also changing times for the more established restaurant players as taste change and labor costs rise.
Are any of the burger stocks still hot?
Which should investors and traders be looking at, if any?
Not all the popular burger chains are public companies. Tracey and Ryan discuss several of those including Fatburger, Smashburger, In-and-Out Burger and Texas’ very own Whataburger.
5 Burger Stocks: Tasty or Not?
1. Shake Shack (SHAK) is trying to double its restaurants by 2020. Same-shack-sales, however, are just so-so as they came in up 1.1% in the second quarter. It’s trading with a forward P/E of 96 so investors are paying a high premium for this well-known New York chain.
2. Habit Burger (HABT) is a California-based chain that provides more value for the money than some others. Tracey finally got to try this chain after years of talking about doing so. It did not disappoint. However, if you’re a value investor like she is, you’re not going to be pleased with Habit’s valuation. It trades with a forward P/E of 308.
3. Good Times Restaurants (GTIM) is probably the stock you’ve never heard of. It operates Good Times Burgers & Frozen Custard and Bad Daddy restaurants in Colorado and Wyoming. It has a market cap of just $63 million but in the fiscal third quarter, same-store-sales rose 3.8%.
4. Red Robin Gourmet Burger (RRGB) is the sit-down, full service burger chain with over 500 restaurants. It’s been struggling recently as traffic was down 3.2% in the second quarter. It has a more affordable valuation, however, with a forward P/E of 21.2.
5. McDonald’s (MCD) sometimes gets overlooked for its burgers but it keeps innovating with new products. It’s less premium and more fast food but it has an attractive valuation with a forward P/E of 21.
Is growth really going to be there for all these burger chains or will there be winners and losers?
Find out the answer to this and more on this week’s podcast.
Wall Street’s Next Amazon
Zacks EVP Kevin Matras believes this familiar stock has only just begun its climb to become one of the greatest investments of all time. It’s a once-in-a-generation opportunity to invest in pure genius.
Click for details >>
Tracey Ryniec manages the Insider Trader and Value Investor portfolios at Zacks.com. She hosts 2 weekly podcasts: Zacks Market Edge Podcast and the Value Investor Podcast. You can also catch her on Twitter at @TraceyRyniec.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Click here for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
McDonald's Corporation (MCD) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc. (RRGB) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Shake Shack, Inc. (SHAK) : Free Stock Analysis Report
The Habit Restaurants, Inc. (HABT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Good Times Restaurants Inc. (GTIM) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research