For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – May 15, 2020 – Zacks Value Investor is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Are the Bank Stocks Deals?
Welcome to Episode #190 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
The financials are one of the larger sectors in the S&P 500 and dominate the Russell 2000, small cap index. The banks, both big and small, make up the majority of the sector.
But the bank stocks have plunged, with some taking out their previous 2020 lows.
And most are still paying their dividends.
Could the banks be stock deals?
5 Big Banks That Have Plunged
1. JPMorgan Chase JPM is considered the top tier of the big US banks. But even with that, shares are still down 40% year-to-date and look like they want to test the March lows. 2020 earnings are expected to fall 52%. Is it a bargain here?
2. Wells Fargo WFC shares are at 9-year lows and trade under their March lows, now down 59% year-to-date. It’s yielding 8.5% and it is paying out the dividend on June 1. Earnings are expected to plunge 82% year-over-year. Are the shares too risky to buy?
3. Comerica CMA is a regional bank with business in Texas and Michigan. It has big exposure to energy, however, with it being 3.3% of total assets. Earnings estimates have been crushed down to $1.33 from $6.76 just 90 days ago. That’s a year-over-year earnings decline of 83%. Should Comerica be on your short list?
4. PNC Financial PNC shares have fallen 40% year-to-date. It hasn’t yet retested the March low. Earnings are expected to fall 47.5% from 2019. Shares are trading with a forward P/E of 16.7. Is it cheap enough to jump in?
5. Bank OZK OZK shares have lost 38% year-to-date. This is the cheapest of these 5 banks, on a P/E level, with a forward P/E of just 13.3. Yet earnings are expected to fall 53% year-over-year. Is it time to take a look?
What else should value investors know about buying bank stocks?
Tune into this week’s podcast to fine out.
Today's Best Stocks from Zacks
Would you like to see the updated picks from our best market-beating strategies? From 2017 through 2019, while the S&P 500 gained and impressive +53.6%, five of our strategies returned +65.8%, +97.1%, +118.0%, +175.7% and even +186.7%.
This outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. From 2000 – 2019, while the S&P averaged +6.0% per year, our top strategies averaged up to +54.7% per year.
See their latest picks free >>
Tracey Ryniec is the Value Stock Strategist for Zacks.com. She is also the Editor of the Insider Trader and Value Investor services. You can follow her on twitter at @TraceyRyniec and she also hosts the Zacks Market Edge Podcast on iTunes.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978. The later formation of the Zacks Rank, a proprietary stock picking system; continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Click here for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
JPMorgan Chase Co. (JPM) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Comerica Incorporated (CMA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc (PNC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Wells Fargo Company (WFC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Bank OZK (OZK) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research