For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – September 13, 2019 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
5 Value Stocks for the Great Stock Rotation
Welcome to Episode #158 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
After years of waiting for value to be “back”, suddenly, in the last 5 stock sessions, investors have been rotating out of the popular, hot growth stock names and into the beaten down value stocks.
Retailers, fertilizers, retail REITs, energy and banks have suddenly caught a bid.
Could this finally be the beginning of a value stock rally?
Growth is King
Growth stocks have dominated the last 5 years.
During that time, Vanguard’s Growth ETF (VUG) gained 65% while the Vanguard Value ETF (VTV) rose just 35.2%.
Over the last year, growth continued to lead but value has narrowed the out-performance as it has gained 1.9% versus growth’s 5.5%.
Screening for Value Stocks with Growth
While it’s fine to rotate into value stocks, instead of giving up on growth altogether, why not take a look at value stocks that are also growing?
Investors can find these stocks by screening with the PEG ratio.
A PEG ratio under 1.0 usually indicates value. Combining that with the Zacks Rank of #1 (Strong Buy) and #2 (Buy), should provide a list of stocks with both growth and value and, hopefully, rising earnings estimates.
This screen returned 9 stocks.
5 Value Stocks to Keep on Your Short List
1. Alliance Data Systems (ADS) manages more than 160 branded credit and loyalty programs for brands like Wayfair, J. Crew and Ulta. It has a PEG ratio of just 0.5 and a forward P/E of just 7 even though the shares are up almost 8% over the last 5 sessions.
2. Alamos Gold (AGI) is a gold miner with a market cap of $2.7 billion. It pays a dividend, currently yielding 0.6%. It’s got a low PEG ratio of just 0.6 because its 2019 earnings are expected to soar 320%.
3. Canadian Solar (CSIQ) is a maker of solar photovoltaic modules with a market cap of $1.3 billion. The stock is dirt cheap with a forward P/E of 6.5 and a PEG of only 0.2. Year-to-date the shares have jumped 47%.
4. Herc Holdings Inc. (HRI) is a large equipment rental company in North America. Shares have been on fire in 2019, gaining 75% and have been up nearly 10% in the great rotation period. But they’re still cheap with a PEG of just 0.4. Earnings are expected to jump 88.6% in 2019 and 49.3% in 2020.
5. NRG Energy (NRG) is a power generator for both businesses and residential with a market cap of $9.4 billion. It has a PEG ratio of only 0.3 and a forward P/E of 10. Earnings are expected to soar 58.5% this year and 42.5% next year.
What else should investors know about the great rotation into value stocks?
Find out on this week’s podcast.
Biggest Tech Breakthrough in a Generation
Be among the early investors in the new type of device that experts say could impact society as much as the discovery of electricity. Current technology will soon be outdated and replaced by these new devices. In the process, it’s expected to create 22 million jobs and generate $12.3 trillion in activity.
A select few stocks could skyrocket the most as rollout accelerates for this new tech. Early investors could see gains similar to buying Microsoft in the 1990s. Zacks’ just-released special report reveals 7 stocks to watch. The report is only available for a limited time.
See 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss.This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Herc Holdings Inc. (HRI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
NRG Energy, Inc. (NRG) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Alamos Gold Inc. (AGI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Canadian Solar Inc. (CSIQ) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Alliance Data Systems Corporation (ADS) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research