For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – November 16, 2018 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
5 Cheap Large-Cap Stocks to Buy Now
Welcome to Episode #117 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio service, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
The stock market volatility of October has continued into November. But don’t let a pullback scare you out of stocks. Value investors rush in looking for deals.
But if the small caps are too volatile for you, what about the large caps?
They’ve outperformed the last few years and some have seen a big sell off.
Screening for Cheap Big Caps
To find the best big cap deals, Tracey created a basic screen with just three components.
She looked for stocks that were Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) or #2 (Buys), which usually means they have rising earnings estimates. And coming on the heals of earnings season, the great Rank usually means these companies have reported solid quarters. Analysts are raising estimates, either because the company raised guidance or the quarter was just that good.
To find the big caps, the screen looked for stocks with market caps over $10 billion.
For value, a forward P/E under 10 was initially used but only 25 stocks came through the screen. That was a little too narrow, so a P/E of 13 and under was tried.
That yielded 49 stocks, with some intriguing names.
5 Cheap Large Cap Stocks to Buy Now
1. BP BP is a large integrated oil company. An oil stock? Right now? It’s certainly cheap. It has a forward P/E of just 11.5 but earnings are expected to be up 89% in 2018 and another 9.4% in 2019. It also pays a really juicy dividend, yielding 6%.
2. Walgreens Boots WBA is the global drugstore chain. It’s one of the few stocks on this list that is actually up over the last few months and is trading near its 52-week high. But it’s still got an attractive valuation with a forward P/E of 12.5.
3. Sony Corp. SNE has transformed itself from a products company into a gaming and content company as its PlayStation heats up heading into the holidays. Shares are off their earlier highs and the stock is still cheap, with a forward P/E of just 11.4.
4. MetLife MET is a financial services giant operating in 40 countries in insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Shares are down over 9% year-to-date. It’s dirt cheap with a forward P/E of 8.4. It even has an attractive PEG ratio of just 0.7. A PEG under 1.0 usually means a company has both growth and value, a rare combination.
5. PACCAR PCAR makes trucks, truck engines and the aftermarket parts and services. In the third quarter it saw record truck production and record market share in Europe. But did Wall Street like it? No. Shares are down 20% year-to-date on worries of a global recession. Shares are cheap with a forward P/E of just 9.5 and a PEG ratio of 0.9.
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we're targeting>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Sony Corporation (SNE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
PACCAR Inc. (PCAR) : Free Stock Analysis Report
MetLife, Inc. (MET) : Free Stock Analysis Report
BP p.l.c. (BP) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research