For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – September 28, 2018 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
The Easiest Value Stock Screen Ever
Welcome to Episode #111 of the Value Investor Podcast.
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio service, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
Sometimes you just want to find cheap stocks but you don’t want to search for a bunch of the value fundamentals. You just want a basic screen.
Why not screen for low P/E ratio stocks?
Sure, it’s not a perfect metric, but it’s a basic fundamental that will get you “cheap” stocks, at least on an earnings basis.
The Easiest Value Stock Screen Ever
In order to get really cheap stocks, however, you’ll probably want to lower the range of P/Es you look for.
Normally, a P/E under 15 usually designates value. That’s under the current P/E of the S&P 500 which is around 18.
But if you’re going to screen for basic value stocks, why not go lower?
Screening for stocks with P/Es under 10, in a market that continues to hit new highs, means you’re going to get the cheapest stocks.
But that’s still a wide screen. You’ll have to look through hundreds of stocks.
That’s why the addition of the Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) and #2 (Buy) stocks to the screen is a good idea. It will help narrow the screen to a manageable level.
The screen, then, looks for stocks with a forward P/E under 10 and the Zacks Rank of #1 or #2.
That returned 99 stocks.
Out of those 99, Tracey took a closer look at 5 companies. Are they truly value stocks?
5 Cheap Stocks with Attractive Zacks Ranks
1. Celgene CELG is a biopharmaceutical giant specializing in cancer treatments. The shares have sunk nearly 17% year-to-date. It has a forward P/E of 9.99, just barely making the cut. Is there finally earnings growth with some of the drug makers?
2. Beazer Homes BZH is a national home builder with business in the Southeast, including Florida, as well as Texas, California, Utah and Arizona. Shares have plunged 44% year-to-date as investors worry about rising mortgage rates. With a forward P/E of 6.3, is it time to take a look at the home builders?
3. Graftech International EAF makes graphite electrode products essential to the production of electric arc furnace steel. Shares are actually up 31% year-to-date yet they’re still cheap with a forward P/E of just 7. But investors should be cautious on the smaller companies with less analyst coverage. Zacks has just 1 earnings estimate on this company for 2018.
4. MoneyGram International MGI sends and receives money around the world. It recently announced that customers would be able to receive money in any of the 17,000 OXXO stores in Mexico. Shares are down big in 2018, plunging nearly 60%. It has a forward P/E of just 8.2 but is it a value trap?
5. Turtle Beach HEAR makes headsets for the gaming community. Shares are down just 5% in the last 3 months. Earnings are expected to soar over 1000% in 2018 as the company makes the headsets you need to play Fortnite, the most popular video game of the year. Should you take a chance on this company which sports a forward P/E of just 9.4?
There’s often a reason a stock is much cheaper than the overall market.
It may be in an industry that is out of favor. It may be having management or other corporate problems. It also may be having product issues.
Investors should always dig down deeper into the companies they get in stock screens. The P/E and the Rank don’t reveal all that is going on there.
What else should you know about the easiest value screen ever?
Tune into this week’s podcast to find out.
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we're targeting>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Turtle Beach Corporation (HEAR) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Beazer Homes USA, Inc. (BZH) : Free Stock Analysis Report
MoneyGram International Inc. (MGI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Celgene Corporation (CELG) : Free Stock Analysis Report
GrafTech International Ltd. (EAF) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research