For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – June 28, 2019 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Chinese Stocks: Value or Value Trap?
Welcome to Episode #147 of the Value Investor Podcast.
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
The Chinese stocks have mostly pulled back in the last few months on the trade tensions. Are they cheap enough for value investors to take a look?
Could there be any deals among the BATS stocks? BATS is China’s equivalent of FANG.
Or do these stocks have attractive valuations but are really value traps?
Definition of a Value Trap
Value trap stocks look like value stocks with low P/Es and other low fundamentals like P/B and P/S ratios. They may even have all the classic low valuations.
But just because they are cheap doesn’t mean they aren’t a trap.
Value stocks can be a trap if a company’s earnings growth is on the decline. Sometimes stocks are cheap for a reason and it can be because the company is struggling to grow earnings.
Are Chinese Stocks Values or Traps?
1. China Distance Education DL is one of the truly cheap Chinese stocks as it has a forward P/E of 8.7. This is a small cap stock with a market cap of just $176 million, however. Year-to-date, shares have sunk 19.5%. It’s clearly a value, but is it a trap?
2. Baidu BIDU shares are down 27% in 2019 and have been underperforming the last 2 years. It has a low price-to-book ratio of just 1.5. But with the online advertising industry getting hit due to macro conditions in China, is that hitting Baidu’s earnings too?
3. YY YY is another cheap Chinese stock with a forward P/E of 10.2 and a PEG ratio of 0.7. It has that rare feature of both growth and value. And while shares have rebounded in 2019, they are still down 36% over the last year. Is it on track to grow earnings this year?
4. Ctrip.com CTRP has a price-to-book ratio of just 1.4, putting it in value territory but year-to-date the shares have soared 36%. How is the travel industry holding up in China?
5. Alibaba BABA shares are up 23% in 2019 but are down nearly 12% over the last year. Are they cheap enough for a value investor to consider? It trades with a forward P/E of 25. And how are those earnings looking?
Are any of the big, popular glamour Chinese stocks actually true value stocks right now?
Find out on this week’s podcast.
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we're targeting>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss.This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
China Distance Education Holdings Limited (DL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
YY Inc. (YY) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Baidu, Inc. (BIDU) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Ctrip.com International, Ltd. (CTRP) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research