For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – December 20, 2019 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
Where to Find the Best Value Stocks in 2020
Welcome to Episode #170 of the Value Investor Podcast.
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
With 2019 winding down, it’s time for investors to think about their 2020 investing plan.
With the big cap stock indexes continuing to hit new all-time highs, it’s easy for value investors to get discouraged thinking that there are no deals in this market.
But they would be wrong.
Screening for Cheap Stocks
If you want to know where the value stocks will be in 2020, you have to start looking for them in 2019.
Which industries has Wall Street avoided in 2019?
But investors should look not only at industries out of favor, but also those companies where earnings may be on the rise.
Cheap stocks, with forward P/Es under 20 and P/S ratios under 1.0, plus Zacks Ranks of #1 (Strong Buy) is a powerful combination.
Running that screen produces 31 stocks.
If you add in Zacks Rank #2 (Buy) stocks, you get an even larger list which includes more industries.
You’re not going to find many technology stocks, as they simply aren’t cheap enough. Nor are the agriculture stocks, which have been beaten up in 2019 thanks to the trade war, going to appear as the Zacks Ranks are #4 (Sell) or #5 (Strong Sells) right now.
But you will find two other industries that have taken their lumps in 2019.
5 Top Ranked Value Stocks
1. Dick’s Sporting Goods (DKS) has had quite the wild ride in 2019 as the shares are now up about 50% year-to-date. But they’re still a value, with a forward P/E of just 13.1.
2. Target (TGT) has had a better year than Apple. Shares are up 93% year-to-date as the big box retailer has finally broken out to new highs. Yes, there’s some value still left in the shares as it trades with a P/S ratio of just 0.8.
3. Tilly’s (TLYS) is a West Coast-inspired apparel, footwear and accessories retailer for teens and young adults. It had positive comps again in the third quarter, up 3.1%, and saw a strong start over Thanksgiving weekend to the holiday season. Shares have lagged the market in 2019, up just 8.5%. It’s still cheap with a forward P/E of 13.4.
4. Bridge Bancorp (BDGE) is a commercial bank on Long Island and the greater New York area with 40 retail branches. It has a forward P/E of just 13.2 and analysts expect it to grow 2020 earnings by 8.6%. Investors get a dividend, currently yielding 2.7%.
5. First Defiance Financial Corp. (FDEF) is another bank with rising earnings estimates. 1 estimate has been revised higher for 2020 in the last month. First Defiance is the holding company for the First Federal Bank of the Midwest and the First Insurance Group, which does business in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. It has a market cap of $616 million and also pays a dividend, currently yielding 2.9%.
Energy is another industry where investors can find value heading into 2020 as some stocks recently hit multi-year lows.
To listen to the recent Value Investor podcast on cheap energy stocks called Energy Stocks: Values or Traps?, click here.
What else should you know about value investing in 2020?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
5 Stocks Set to Double
Each was hand-picked by a Zacks expert as the #1 favorite stock to gain +100% or more in 2020. Each comes from a different sector and has unique qualities and catalysts that could fuel exceptional growth.
Most of the stocks in this report are flying under Wall Street radar, which provides a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor.
Today, See These 5 Potential Home Runs >>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Bridge Bancorp, Inc. (BDGE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
First Defiance Financial Corp. (FDEF) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Tilly's, Inc. (TLYS) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Target Corporation (TGT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
DICK'S Sporting Goods, Inc. (DKS) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research