|Aurora Arlet||Zhone Investor Relations|
|Edelman for Zhone Public Relations||Tel: +1 510.777.7013|
|Tel: +1 404.460.8578||Fax: +1 510.777.7001|
|E: firstname.lastname@example.org||E: email@example.com|
Zhone Technologies Communicates Seven Ways Optical LAN Solutions Can Improve Enterprise Networks
Optical LAN helps enterprises conserve energy and reduce operating costs up to 70 percent
Oakland, CA - May 13, 2014 - More devices than ever before are connecting to the Internet these days, bringing a flood of traffic to enterprise LANS. Many enterprise networks are not ready for the heavy traffic, leading to overloaded networks. As a global leader in FTTx network access solutions, Zhone Technologies, Inc. (ZHNE) today unveiled seven ways fiber-based passive optical LAN solutions can improve enterprise communications.
With the number of connected devices predicted to reach 30 billion by 2020, network infrastructures must also be improved in order to provide the needed bandwidth to support these devices. Additionally, as enterprises push more and more information to the cloud, high-speed broadband connections become critical. However, refurbishing or deploying a new network infrastructure is expensive. Optical LAN provides an alternative solution with several benefits to the enterprise. These benefits include:
- Saved space: Optical LAN solutions can lead up to a 90 percent reduction in floor and rack space as a result of the high density benefits associated with the Optical LAN equipment and passive nature of the solution when compared to copper.
- Decreased power: Optical LAN can provide up to an 84 percent reduction in power utilization since switches are no longer needed on every floor. Optical LAN has passive splitters, reducing the power costs and eliminating cooling systems, cooling costs and wiring closets.
- Highly secure: Fiber is more secure than copper because it is immune to many environmental factors that can affect copper and it isn`t susceptible to radio frequency interference or electrometric interference. Data is safe since fiber doesn`t radiate signals and is very difficult to tap. Fiber networks also enable all electronics and hardware to be located in one central location. Plus, it`s military-grade.
- Increased lifespan: Unlike copper, fiber lasts for 50+ years. It eliminates cable congestion and covers a distance of up to 20 kilometers or 12 miles. Since there is very little signal loss during transmission, data can move farther at rapid speeds. Fiber also doesn`t require infrastructure upgrades like copper so it`s more cost effective.
- Optimized architecture: Condensing the equipment needed allows enterprises to utilize space more efficiently.
- Reduced CAPEX: Single-mode fiber is up to 50 percent cheaper to deploy than Cat 6A copper. Passive Optical LAN lowers capital costs by up to 70 percent reducing the need for active components, electronics, and cross-connects.
- Increased revenue: In the case of the Crown Plaza hotel in Clayton, Mo., the installation of FiberLAN helped increase occupancy by 20 percent in six months, as guests appreciated access to the reliable high-speed Internet.
"Optical LAN solutions like Zhone`s FiberLAN enable the enterprises to maximize bandwidth while condensing space requirements and lower cabling costs," said Brian Caskey, chief marketing officer at Zhone Technologies. "Ultimately, the cost-effective solution allows providers to deliver the reliable, high-speed connections necessary while using technology that won`t require costly infrastructure upgrades."
Zhone`s Fiber-based LAN is a high-performance, high density GPON-based Optical LAN solution (OLS) delivering high speed data, voice and video to multi-level, multi-unit commercial and industrial complexes, including hotel rooms, bandwidth demanding desktops and work-stations. It can be deployed in offices, rooms, factories or other harsh industrial environments, delivering comprehensive connectivity for any Local Area Networking requirement.
Zhone continues to provide innovative access solutions, delivering voice, video and data services over copper and fiber. For more information on Zhone`s FiberHome(TM) portfolio please visit http://www.zhone.com.
About Zhone Technologies
Zhone Technologies, Inc. (ZHNE) is a global leader in all IP multi-service access solutions, serving more than 750 of the world`s most innovative network operators. The IP Zhone is the only solution that enables service providers to build the network of the future.today, supporting end-to-end Voice, Data, Entertainment Social Media, Business, Mobile Backhaul and Mobility service. Zhone is committed to building the fastest and highest quality All IP Multi-Service solution for its customers. Zhone is headquartered in California and its products are manufactured in the USA in a facility that is emission, waste-water and CFC free.
Zhone, the Zhone logo, and all Zhone product names are trademarks of Zhone Technologies, Inc. Other brand and product names are trademarks of their respective holders. Specifications, products, and/or product names are all subject to change without notice.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to the safe harbors created under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Words such as "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "goal," "intend," "may," "plan," "project," "seek," "should," "target," "will," "would," variations of such words, and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. In addition, forward-looking statements include, among others, statements that refer to financial estimates; projections of revenue, margins, expenses or other financial items. Readers are cautioned that actual results could differ materially from those expressed in or contemplated by the forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include, but are not limited to, commercial acceptance of the Company`s products; intense competition in the communications equipment market; the Company`s ability to execute on its strategy and operating plans; and economic conditions specific to the communications, networking, internet and related industries. In addition, please refer to the risk factors contained in the Company`s SEC filings available at www.sec.gov, including without limitation, the Company`s annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2013. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date on which they are made. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements for any reason.
This announcement is distributed by NASDAQ OMX Corporate Solutions on behalf of NASDAQ OMX Corporate Solutions clients.
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Zhone Technologies, Inc via GlobeNewswire