|Bid||0.00 x 0|
|Ask||0.00 x 0|
|Day's Range||4.46 - 4.68|
|52 Week Range||2.53 - 5.60|
|PE Ratio (TTM)||N/A|
|Earnings Date||Aug 1, 2018|
|Forward Dividend & Yield||N/A (N/A)|
|1y Target Est||4.21|
Yesterday, natural gas’s implied volatility was 19.6%, ~4.4% below its 15-day moving average. In the last week, natural gas’s August futures have fallen 1%, and its implied volatility has fallen ~2.5%. Since June, these two variables have been moving together .
PointLogic estimates that US dry natural gas consumption increased 4.5% to 65.3 Bcf (billion cubic feet) per day on July 12–18. The consumption also increased 8% year-over-year.
Between July 11 and July 18, our list of natural gas–weighted stocks fell 4.2% while natural gas August futures fell 3.8%. On average, natural gas–weighted stocks underperformed natural gas futures in this period. Let’s take a look at the natural gas–weighted stocks that have outperformed natural gas prices in the last five trading sessions: Cabot Oil & Gas (COG): rose 1.2% Range Resources (RRC): fell 2.7%
The natural gas–weighted stocks on our list that are sensitive to US crude oil September futures’ movements based on their last five trading sessions’ correlations with US crude oil September futures are as follows: Chesapeake Energy (CHK): 82.9% Range Resources (RRC): 59.8% Antero Resources (AR): 47.3% Southwestern Energy (SWN): 25.4%
On July 18, natural gas August futures fell 0.7% and settled at $2.72 per MMBtu (million British thermal units)—the lowest closing level since May 4. Oversupply concerns in the face of weak demand could be behind the decline. Moreover, the forecast of cooler summer weather is another worry for natural gas bulls.
OKLAHOMA CITY , July 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE:CHK) today announced that its Board of Directors has declared dividends on its outstanding convertible preferred stock ...
Approximately 61% of analysts have rated EQT (EQT) a “buy.” The remaining 39% have rated the stock a “hold.” The average broker target price of $68.88 for EQT implies a potential return of ~24% in the next 12 months. In comparison, Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) has a potential return of 18% over the next 12 months, Antero Resources (AR) has a potential return of 15.29% over the next 12 months, and Noble Energy (NBL) has a potential return of 29.61% in the same period. Chesapeake Energy (CHK) has implied returns of -12.84% over the next 12 months. The highest and lowest target prices for EQT stock are $86 and $53, respectively.
As of July 13, short interest as a percentage of float (or short interest ratio) in Chesapeake Energy (CHK) stock was 17.69%. A year ago, in July 2017, its short interest ratio was 22.58%.
On July 17, natural gas August 2018 futures closed at a premium of ~$0.11 to August 2019 futures, compared with ~$0.12 on July 10. Between July 10 and July 17, natural gas August futures fell 1.7%.
The natural gas rig count was at 189 last week, two higher than in the previous week. The natural gas rig count has fallen ~88.2% from its record level of 1,606 in 2008. However, US natural gas marketed production rose ~45.8% between January 2008 and April 2018, despite the natural gas rig count falling. As a result, natural gas active futures have fallen 65.1% since January 2008.
On July 17, natural gas August futures fell 0.7% and settled at $2.74 per MMBtu (million British thermal units), their lowest closing price in more than two months. Meanwhile, Cabot Oil & Gas (COG), Gulfport Energy (GPOR), and Chesapeake Energy (CHK) fell 0.2%, 0.7%, and 2.7%, respectively, underperforming other natural gas–weighted stocks.
Approximately 65.5% of the Wall Street analysts covering Chesapeake Energy (CHK) stock have rated it a “hold,” and 10.3% have rated it a “buy.” About 17.2% have rated it an “underperform.”
Current implied volatility in Chesapeake Energy stock (CHK) is 59.69%, which is 1.52% lower than its 15-day average of 60.61%. In comparison, the Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE) has an implied volatility of 17.4%, which is 8.42% lower than its 15-day average of $19.
On May 8, President Trump said that the US is exiting the Iran nuclear deal. On June 26, President Trump pushed Iran’s allies to stop importing crude oil from the country by November 4. Active WTI crude oil prices hit $74.15 per barrel on June 29—the highest level since November 2014.
Hedge funds reduced their net bullish positions in US natural gas futures and options by 31% to 85,186 on July 3–10. The net-long positions also decreased ~3% YoY (year-over-year). The reduction suggests that hedge funds are turning less bullish or bearish on natural gas prices. The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission released the latest positions data on July 13.
The most noteworthy losers were Ford Motor (NYSE:F) and Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK), which are noteworthy names, but not exactly heavy hitters. Most observers don’t recognize that on the first trading day of this week, decliners outnumbered advancers, and down volume outpaced up volume. To that end, Tuesday’s top trading prospects are stock charts of Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS), Eastman Chemical (NYSE:EMN) and Sealed Air (NYSE:SEE).
Jim Cramer recommended on CNBC's "Mad Money Lightning Round" a long position in Childrens Place Inc (NASDAQ: PLCE ). He would buy the weakness in the stock. Dynavax Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ...
Jim Cramer rattles off his take on callers' favorite stocks, including his take on how investors should approach the gold market.
Chesapeake Energy Corporation ( CHK) shares fell more than 5% on Monday after Libyan production sent crude oil prices sharply lower. After crude oil's significant rally over the past year, the market was ripe for a correction, and the reopening of four ports in Libya was enough to offset early strength from a drop in U.S. production. Chesapeake Energy was one of the worst hit companies, but energy stocks experienced a broad decline.
On July 6–13, the ETFs that track natural gas futures recorded lower performance trends. The United States Natural Gas ETF (UNG) fell 3.2%, while the ProShares Ultra Bloomberg Natural Gas ETF (BOIL) fell 6.4%.
On July 6–13, US crude oil August futures fell 3.8%. However, US crude oil prices gained 1% and closed at $71.01 per barrel on July 13. US crude oil active futures remained above the 20-day moving average. US crude oil active futures were 1% above the crucial short-term charting level on the same date.
Approximately 66.7% of analysts rate Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) a “buy.” The rest of the 33.3% rated COG a “hold.” The average broker target price of $28.05 for the company implies a return of ~20.67% in the next 12 months.
Investors were spooked by forecasts of cooler-than-normal weather that could lead to decrease in natural gas demand for air-conditioning.
WallStEquities.com has initiated research coverage on California Resources Corp. (NYSE: CRC), Callon Petroleum Co. (NYSE: CPE), Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (NYSE: CNQ), and Chesapeake Energy Corp. (NYSE: CHK). The biggest drivers of Independent Oil and Gas companies are unquestionably oil and gas prices. When prices are high, independents can be aggressive in leasing mineral rights that are prospective for oil and gas, and then aggressively drill new wells.