|Day's Range||20.61 - 20.61|
Housing Starts last month grew 12% to 1.264 million seasonally adjusted, annualized units, well in front of the 4.1% growth expected and 1.260 million units in the consensus estimate.
A narrow trading range combined with an increase in the volatility index as investors appear poised to move money from stocks to bonds.
It was another relatively quiet session in the stock market today. On Tuesday we saw the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) rally 0.3%, the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA) jump 0.2% and the PowerShares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ:QQQ) climb 0.5%.That's as investors try to get positioned ahead of the Federal Reserve's announcement on Wednesday. It doesn't help that there's a quadruple witching day this Friday, one of four throughout the year, as we roll into the fourth quarter.InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips Assets Moving Ahead of the FedWhile it's been a relatively calm Monday and Tuesday in the equity markets, the same cannot be said about financial markets over the past month.Earlier this month, we had the SPY, DIA and QQQ break out of their choppy trading ranges. Amid that breakout though, we had a deep correction in high-growth tech stocks like Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU), Alteryx (NYSE:AYX), The Trade Desk (NASDAQ:TTD), Veeva Systems (NYSE:VEEV) and many, many others.We recently caught a nice pullback both in gold and bonds after an absolutely explosive rally in the SPDR Gold Shares (NYSEARCA:GLD) and the iShares 20+ Treasury Bond ETF (NASDAQ:TLT). The latter's decline helped spring a potent rebound in bank stocks, by the way.Finally, how could we forget the move in crude oil. Following a drone strike in Saudi Arabia over the weekend, oil prices were skyrocketing. While they have come down off the highs, and with Saudi production expected to come fully back online in the coming weeks, crude is still up about 7.5% from its closing price last week.To say the Fed has a full plate is putting it lightly. What to Expect From the FedThere is now a greater chance of no rate cut on Wednesday than there is of a rate cut. This has not been the norm over the past few days or weeks, mind you.Currently, the Fed Funds futures are pricing in 52.7% probability the Fed does not raise interest rates tomorrow. The other 47.3% probability calls for a 25-basis point cut. Essentially, a coin flip. * 7 Momentum Stocks to Buy On the Dip Just a day ago, the figures stood at 37.7% probability of no cut and 62.3% chance of a cut. A week ago it was even more drastic. Participants were pricing in a greater than 92% chance the Fed cuts rates, with a less than 10% probability of no cut.Finally, a month ago, the market wasn't even pricing in the chances of no cut. Instead, it was expecting a cut of at least 25-basis points, while there was a 22.3% probability of a 50-basis point cut.Sorry for the deluge of statistics, but they underscore how much can change in a relatively short amount of time. It will be interesting to hear what Fed Chair Jerome Powell has to say about the economy and the recent fluctuations in various assets.With unemployment low and stocks near their highs, it's easy to make the case for "no cut." But if that's the course the Fed chooses, it will surely hear from a chorus of dovish detractors -- as well as President Donald Trump. Movers in the Stock Market TodayShopify (NYSE:SHOP) stock fell 2.7% after the company announced a 1.9 million share secondary offering. The deal is for Class A stock that priced at $317.50, raising just over $600 million for the company. The move comes as little surprise given that Shopify stock is still up roughly 140% in 2019 and after its recent $450 million acquisition.Following Disney's (NYSE:DIS) acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox, the company is getting to work on its balance sheet. Disney is looking to deleverage a bit after digesting that big $71.3 billion deal, tendering more than $4.2 billion worth of notes. It increased its intended purchases as well.Micron (NASDAQ:MU) caught a price target boost from $55 to $65 at Cascend Securities. The analysts maintain a "buy" rating and believe MU has "good value" after evaluating the DRAM market. Shares ended the day higher by 1.4% at $50.84.Oh, and thank goodness the WeWork IPO is being shelved -- at least for a little while. We had some gripes about that one.Bret Kenwell is the manager and author of Future Blue Chips and is on Twitter @BretKenwell. As of this writing, Bret Kenwell is long ROKU and TTD. More From InvestorPlace * 2 Toxic Pot Stocks You Should Avoid * 7 Momentum Stocks to Buy On the Dip * 7 Dow Titans Breaking Higher * 5 Growth Stocks to Sell as Rates Move Higher The post Stock Market Today: What to Expect From the Federal Reserve appeared first on InvestorPlace.
U.S. markets and stock ETFs retreated on a spike in risk-off sentiment, following the weekend attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities that sent crude price surging, but strength in the energy sector helped offset some of the broader selling.
It was another good day in the stock market today, as equities pushed higher in Friday morning trade. It's not hard to see that bulls are getting tired though, as equities faded off their opening highs.The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) fell 0.1%, the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA) rallied 0.1% and the PowerShares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ:QQQ) dropped 0.4%.InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading TipsThe rebound in equities has been a continuous story line for investors over the past two weeks. And so have the disastrous developments of the WeWork IPO. What's Up With WeWork?WeWork is a real estate company that provides shared office spaces for startups and other businesses.The idea of WeWork is an excellent alternative to building and office leases, providing startups, potential clients and teams a rich collaborative environment. But that's not how investors are looking at it. In short, they don't trust WeWork.Earlier this year, SoftBank (OTCMKTS:SFTBY) threw money at WeWork, valuing the cash-burning entity at $47 billion after it invested $2 billion. Now? Reports of a continually lower IPO valuation keep circulating. The latest calls for a $10 billion IPO valuation -- a whopping 78% reduction from the valuation it garnered when SoftBank invested -- and that's after SoftBank said the company should shelve its IPO plans.It's just the latest example of another private-equity unicorn garnering a valuation way ahead of its skis and paying the piper in the public market. Uber (NYSE:UBER) and Lyft (NASDAQ:LYFT) paid the price right out the gate, and while it took some time, Slack (NYSE:WORK) is suffering too.Accord to WeWork's U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Form S-1, the company reported sales of $436 million in 2016, $886 million in 2017 and $1.8 billion in 2018. That's pretty solid growth. However, operating losses have exploded. WeWork had operating losses of $396 million in 2016, $931.8 million in 2017 and $1.7 billion last year.In the first six month of 2019, WeWork has revenue of $1.5 billion and operating losses of $1.4 billion. How is this model sustainable? Further, its structure couldn't be more complicated. Have a look (again, from the S-1):Finally, co-founder and CEO Adam Neumann raises some red flags. For instance, by buying properties and then leasing them back to his own company. Or Neumann being a managing member of an LLC that owned the "We" trademark that then sold said trademark to WeWork when it rebranded as The We Company for a cool $5.9 million.I don't know Neumann personally -- obviously -- but what kind of founder-CEO does this type of stuff? There are 10 pages of disclosures on Neumann in the S-1, who has voting control via a three-class share structure. In June, three former executives launched a lawsuit against We ranging from sexual harassment to age discrimination.Lastly, We saw its lease obligations jump from $34 billion to $47 billion in the first six months of 2019. How's the company going to cover those obligations as its operating losses swell and without free cash flow? What's it going to do when -- not if -- a recession strikes, either in the U.S. or globally, or both?These are serious questions that need serious answers. I'm not trying to dog on We, but man, you do not see a pre-IPO show turn into a circus act with a near-80% haircut in valuation without there being some serious flaws.If this company ultimately goes public, be sure to do your due diligence. Movers in the Stock Market TodayOne IPO that's not disappointing investors -- like SmileDirectClub (NASDAQ:SDC) on Thursday -- is Cloudflare (NYSE:NET). Shares jumped 20% on the day, closing at $18. Despite pricing at $15 per share, well above its original $12-$14 range, shares still found a bevy of buyers on Friday.Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) stock sank 1.9% on Friday, after enjoying strong gains for most of the week. Despite rallying after unveiling its new iPhone, streaming plans and other products on Tuesday, not everyone is on board.One Rosenblatt analyst sees lower demand for the iPhone 11 and argues that sales could disappoint. He has a "sell" rating and Street-low $150 price target. Another analyst from Goldman Sachs says that Apple's plan to offer one year of Apple TV+ for free when customers purchase certain new devices could have a "material negative impact."Finally, one last analyst take is on Disney (NYSE:DIS). Remember, Disney, Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) all fell when Apple announced its new streaming product.However, analysts at Cowen noted that Disney's strength at the box office this year could make for a very difficult comp next year. To be honest, it's hard to argue that point, but Cowen must still be optimistic, maintaining a $154 price target.Next week we'll hear from the Federal Reserve. Not more than a few weeks ago, the market was pricing in a 100% probability of at least one rate cut. Even on Thursday, the odds stood at about an 89% probability of a rate cut and an 11% chance of no cut. On Friday, the odds of no cut jumped to 20.4%. Hmm.Bret Kenwell is the manager and author of Future Blue Chips and is on Twitter @BretKenwell. As of this writing, Bret Kenwell is long DIS and AAPL. More From InvestorPlace * 2 Toxic Pot Stocks You Should Avoid * 10 Big IPO Stocks From 2019 to Watch * 7 Discount Retail Stocks to Buy for a Recession * 7 Stocks to Buy Benefiting From Millennial Money The post Stock Market Today: Donat Get Me Started on the WeWork IPO appeared first on InvestorPlace.
U.S. markets and stock exchange traded funds meandered on Friday as optimism over progress in the trade war with China was pared down by lingering uncertainty over global growth. On Friday, the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF (DIA) rose 0.2% and SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) was flat. Global equities have been pushing higher this week on hopes of easing trade tensions between the U.S. and China, along with expectations of looser monetary policies from global central banks, recovering some of the lost ground experienced over a volatile August.
Gold has been benefiting from the US-China trade war. However, some observers, such as Jim Cramer and Citigroup, disagree on what's in store for gold.
U.S. markets and stock exchange traded funds rallied Thursday after the European Central Bank revealed its intent to support the Eurozone economy and positive developments on U.S.-China trade. On Thursday, ...
It was another positive day on Wall Street, with stocks closing near their highs on Wednesday. Again, small-cap stocks stole the show in the stock market today.All week, we've been pointing out the outperformance of the Russell 2000. That strength was on display as the iShares Russell 2000 ETF (NYSEARCA:IWM) closed higher by 2%.InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading TipsThat easily outpaced the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) and the SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA), which rallied 0.7% and 0.9%, respectively. It also topped the 0.9% rally in the PowerShares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ:QQQ).The IWM is now up almost 5% just this week, easily topping the roughly 50 basis appreciation in the S&P 500. The ETF has also seen a few strong days of accumulation, causing some to wonder whether small caps are set to start closing that gap.While the IWM may be coming into some possible resistance, continued momentum could kick-start a breakout. Movers in the Stock Market TodayShares of Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) barreled to their highest level in about a year, rising 3.2% to $223.59. The move comes on a two-fold catalyst. First, the company introduced its new iPhone and other products set to launch over the next few weeks. Second, the stock was on the cusp of a big breakout, which is taking place now.If only Zscaler (NASDAQ:ZS) could say the same thing. Shares were down 20% on the day, despite the company beating on earnings and revenue expectations. However, the midpoint of management's full-year guidance came up short of consensus estimates for both revenue and earnings. * 10 Stocks to Sell in Market-Cursed September Restoration Hardware (NYSE:RH) initially opened lower, but then jumped 4.8% to new highs. The move comes after the company reported yet another beat-and-raise quarter.Side note: RH and IWM are two stocks on Wednesday's Top Stock Trades column.Dave & Buster's Entertainment (NASDAQ:PLAY) shares fell more than 4% after the company reported earnings. The company beat on earnings, reported in-line revenue and missed on comp store sales results.GameStop (NYSE:GME) took it on the chin, falling more than 10% after the company missed on earnings and revenue estimates, and provided worse-than-expected guidance. The only seemingly good news is that shares rallied hard off the lows and did not make new 52-week lows.Another retailer that's struggling? Forever 21, which is expected to file for bankruptcy as early as this weekend. Heard on the StreetCisco Systems (NASDAQ:CSCO) climbed 1.7% and is looking to reclaim $50 after it was initiated with an "outperform" rating and $60 price target from the analysts at Evercore ISI.Hilton Worldwide Holdings (NYSE:HLT) jumped about 1.7% on the day, closing at $95.21. The move came after Bernstein analysts initiated shares with an "outperform" rating and $108 price target. It implies almost 14% upside from Wednesday's close.Finally, shares of Callaway Golf (NYSE:ELY) were upgraded to "outperform" at Raymond James. The analysts are using a $21 price target, implying more than 10% upside from current levels. That's even after the stock's nearly 26% rally so far this year and 5.5% rally on Wednesday.Bret Kenwell is the manager and author of Future Blue Chips and is on Twitter @BretKenwell. As of this writing, Bret Kenwell was long AAPL. More From InvestorPlace * 2 Toxic Pot Stocks You Should Avoid * 10 Stocks to Sell in Market-Cursed September * 7 of the Worst IPO Stocks in 2019 * 7 Best Stocks That Crushed It This Earnings Season The post Stock Market Today: Small Caps Are Back?Â appeared first on InvestorPlace.
U.S. markets and stock ETFs climbed Wednesday as technology shares strengthened following Apple’s launch of its latest iPhones and as markets look to supportive central banks. On Wednesday, the Invesco ...
Technology stocks were among the hardest hit areas of the market on Tuesday as the sector has come under pressure amid rising anxiety over the U.S.-China trade spate and speculation of a global recession, the Wall Street Journal reports. Weakness out of China weighed on sentiment. China producer prices fell last month at their sharpest rate in three years as the second largest economy in the world deals with a protracted trade war with the U.S., Reuters reports.
Tuesday marked another interesting day in U.S. equities. Investors saw good, bad and ugly in the stock market today, with assets mixed for the second straight session. Worth noting in this case though, the stark differences weren't as notable as Monday's session.Again though, we saw small caps outperform via the iShares Russell 2000 ETF (NYSEARCA:IWM) as it rallied 1.24%, while tech lagged as the PowerShares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ:QQQ) fell 0.3%.InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading TipsSandwiched in between were the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) and SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA), which were down 0.04% and up 0.2%, respectively.While we saw small caps easily outperform the S&P 500 on Monday, we also saw high-growth tech stocks like Twilio (NYSE:TWLO), Shopify (NASDAQ:SHOP) and others obliterated on the day. On Tuesday, we saw more selling pressure in these names, although not to the extent we did in the prior session.Instead, streaming dominated the headlines in the stock market today, following the Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) event. All About AppleJust like it does every year, Apple held its fall product event on Tuesday, showcasing a number of new services, products and upgrades for its customers. What were the highlights?Starting with the iPhone, Apple announced three new versions of the device. The iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max will start at $999 and $1099, respectively, and sport panel sizes of 5.8 inches and 6.5 inches, respectively. * 10 Stocks to Sell in Market-Cursed September The devices will come in four colors, have OLED displays and boast three rear-facing cameras. The iPhones will ship with a fast-changing adapter, while the iPhone 11 Pro has improved battery life of four hours and iPhone 11 Pro Max sports an improvement of five hours.The third device is Apple's low-cost option, the iPhone 11, weighing in at $699. The iPhone sports a 6.1-inch display and dual rear-facing camera. The low-cost option will be available in six colors.Customers will also be able to order the new Series 5 Apple Watch. The device starts at $399, with a 4G unit costing $499. The Series 3 price will drop down $199. Apple also introduced the 7th-generation iPad, which starts at $329 and will begin shipping at the end of the month.Further, the company announced that Apple Arcade will be available Sept. 19 in more than 150 countries. The service starts at $4.99 per month for the whole family (after a one-month free trial), and will soon have more than 100 games.Finally, the company said that its Apple TV+ service will start at just $4.99 for the whole family. One year of the service will be included for new hardware purchases, with the first shows launching Nov. 1 in over 100 countries. Apple expects to add new shows each month. Streaming WarsI left the Apple TV+ news for last, because it has more than just customers talking about it. It's wreaking havoc on other streaming plays, like Disney (NYSE:DIS), Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU).Disney and Netflix each slipped about 2.2%, while Roku took a punch to the teeth, falling 10.5%. It's exactly why all three stocks (plus Apple) were InvestorPlace's Top Stock Trades.What will the impact be?When Disney priced its Disney+ streaming service at $6.99 per month (or $70 annually), most assumed it was to undercut Netflix. Given Disney's strong content library and appeal to parents, the service looks like a layup at these prices.But after Apple announced its service at $4.99 a month, perhaps that's why Disney's price came in so low. While it doesn't mean he knew ahead of time, the fact that Disney CEO Bob Iger sits on the Apple board is at least worth mentioning here.In any regard, I don't know that Disney is at a big competitive risk against Apple. For starters, the price points are not that far apart, particularly if customers buy the annual package from Disney (which boils down to $5.83 per month). Second, Disney has vastly better content than Apple that appeals to toddlers, kids, teens and adults.That's hard to top.For Netflix though, its standard plan rings in at $12.99 a month, but its offerings range between $8.99 and $15.99 per month. Many would argue that it has inferior content to Disney, but will likely have superior content to Apple. Unfortunately, its price point isn't competitive. It will be interesting to see how much staying power NFLX really has and how loyal its customers really are.Perhaps it won't lose market share and in fact, gain market share as more customers cut the cord. Collectively, someone could pay $25 a month for NFLX (standard), Disney+ and Apple TV+. Not bad.Let's see what the market makes of it over the next few days and weeks.Finally, there's Roku. Shares were crushed on the day, which likely had more to do with its run from under $100 to over $175 in about a month's time more than anything else. Still, the headlines about Apple's approach to streaming -- of course, with its own hardware available -- didn't help matters.Bret Kenwell is the manager and author of Future Blue Chips and is on Twitter @BretKenwell. As of this writing, Bret Kenwell is long AAPL, DIS and SHOP. More From InvestorPlace * 2 Toxic Pot Stocks You Should Avoid * 10 Stocks to Sell in Market-Cursed September * 7 of the Worst IPO Stocks in 2019 * 7 Best Stocks That Crushed It This Earnings Season The post Stock Market Today: Streaming Wars Are About to Get Real appeared first on InvestorPlace.
It was a very mixed session in the stock market day. While some areas of the market did really well, other parts of the market were creamed on Monday. Broadly speaking though -- as measured by the S&P 500 -- the stock market was flat on the day.Anyone investing in small caps or high growth wouldn't agree with that statement, though.InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading TipsLast week, we finally saw the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY), SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average (NYSEARCA:DIA) and PowerShares QQQ ETF (NASDAQ:QQQ) break out.The trio had been trapped in a month-long trading range that was both choppy and frustrating for investors. When they finally broke out, investors were relieved despite there still being a few concerns. Small Caps Lead, High Growth DecimatedOne issue was small caps, which were struggling. I would really like to see the iShares Russell 2000 ETF (NYSEARCA:IWM) play catch-up and push over its 50-day moving average at this point. However, Monday's 1.33% rally against a flat S&P 500 was a good start.On the flip side, the action in high-octane growth stocks was damaging. Many of these names were showing a ton of relative strength throughout 2019, with several doubling, tripling and quadrupling. They showed relative strength in May when the market was under pressure, and again in August when volatility increased.But when stocks broke out last week, they were stagnant. Now on Monday, they're getting hammered. It's one reason why observing relative strength price action is so important. * 7 Stocks to Buy In a Flat Market The Trade Desk (NASDAQ:TTD) and Twilio (NYSE:TWLO) fell more than 10% at one point, while Alteryx (NYSE:AYX) fell more than 15%. Pinterest (NYSE:PINS), Shopify (NASDAQ:SHOP), Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) and others were also hit with a bevy of selling. Even Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) and Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) were struggling.A number of these stocks made our Top Stock Trades list on Monday as a result of the action.Hopefully InvestorPlace readers were ready though, as we highlighted this very concern in real-time just last week. Movers in the Stock Market TodayShares of AT&T (NYSE:T) were rallying as much as 6% in pre-market trading, but ended higher by just 1.41%. Still, the rally sent shares to multi-year highs after Elliott Management took an activist stake in the company.They sent a letter to management, highlighting steps they can take to elevate the stock to $60 or more by the end of 2021. That's up more than 60% from current levels. Keep in mind, shares still yield about 5.6%. Those who have been patient in AT&T stock are now being rewarded.Shares of Fannie Mae (OTCMKTS:FNMA) rocketed on the day, climbing almost 40% after an appeals court reversed an earlier decision which backed the government taking all of its profits. Freddie Mac (OTCMKTS:FMCC) rallied a similar amount on the ruling.Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) stock initially moved lower on the day, but closed higher on Monday despite more incoming probes. Now the New York attorney general is investigating the company for antitrust concerns. Joining them will be attorney generals from seven other states as well as the District of Columbia.Facebook also has to contend with the Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Justice.However, it could be worse. For instance, look at Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOG, NASDAQ:GOOGL). It just settled one investigation with the FTC and also has the DOJ breathing down its neck. But like Facebook, it was announced on Monday that a number of state AGs would investigate the company as well.However, instead of eight states and DC, GOOGL will face 50 attorney generals. California and Alabama will not be involved, but D.C. and Puerto Rico are, bringing the total to 50.Bret Kenwell is the manager and author of Future Blue Chips and is on Twitter @BretKenwell. As of this writing, Bret Kenwell did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities. More From InvestorPlace * 2 Toxic Pot Stocks You Should Avoid * 3 Artificial Intelligence Stocks to Buy * 7 Industrial Stocks to Buy for a Strong U.S. Economy * 3 Beaten-Down Bank Stocks to Buy and Hold for the Long Term The post Stock Market Today: What to Do With High-Growth Onslaught? appeared first on InvestorPlace.
U.S. markets and stock ETFs ended flat after Monday as traders vacillated on the likely outcome in the direction of monetary policy from the Federal Reserve’s meeting later this month. On Monday, the SPDR ...
Discussing a "value-creation opportunity," Elliott speaks of AT&T -- which bought media major Time-Warner's assets for $85 billion in June 2018 ??? as being "deeply undervalued."