|Bid||52.27 x 1000|
|Ask||52.25 x 1000|
|Day's Range||52.10 - 52.33|
|52 Week Range||46.36 - 59.01|
|Beta (3Y Monthly)||0.55|
|PE Ratio (TTM)||8.11|
|Forward Dividend & Yield||3.09 (6.13%)|
|1y Target Est||65.19|
Is National Grid plc (LON:NG.) a good dividend stock? How can we tell? Dividend paying companies with growing earnings...
in England and Wales last week has raised the possibility that it was caused by the world’s largest offshore wind farm accidentally going offline. The provisional report, which was submitted to regulators on Friday, suggests for the first time that the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned and run by Denmark’s Orsted, may have tripped offline seconds before an outage at a smaller, gas-fired station. The findings, which were relayed to the Financial Times by people briefed on the report, suggest the blackout may have been avoided if not for an error at the wind farm.
Energy analysts have estimated that is all it would cost, added to an average annual household energy bill of more than £1,200, to prevent the kind of power cuts that incapacitated large parts of England and Wales. The power cuts hit rail services alongside almost 1m homes and businesses, and are now the subject of a government investigation that is raising far reaching questions about National Grid’s ability to manage Britain’s electricity system.
(Bloomberg) -- The operator of Britain’s power distribution system sought to shift blame for once-in-a-decade blackouts last week to local networks as the government laid out a more detailed investigation into the power failure.National Grid Plc Chief Executive Officer John Pettigrew said his company’s system returned to service seven minutes after two major generation plants unexpectedly stopped working on Aug. 9. He said it was grid operators downstream of his company’s network of distribution lines that decided to shut off supplies to hospitals and rail stations, causing hours of delays long after power returned to the grid.Pettigrew’s remarks in the Financial Times and on British Broadcasting Corp. radio on Wednesday spread the blame for the outages and underlined National Grid’s reputation for responsibly managing the network. The incident raised questions about the competence of grid managers to handle a transition away from fossil fuels as the opposition Labour Party argues in favor of taking parts of the system back into government hands.“I’m not pointing the finger, I’m just saying I think it’s sensible to do a broad investigation,” Pettigrew told the FT.For more on the London blackout, click hereA government investigation conducted by the Energy Emergencies Executive Committee will probe some of those issues. The inquiry will look into not just the actions of National Grid, but also how power cuts were prioritized, including to essential services, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said in a statement Wednesday.The committee, a partnership between the government, the regulator Ofgem and industry, will file an interim report in five weeks and a full report within 12 weeks. Ofgem has also requested that National Grid provide an “urgent interim report” on the event by Friday.National Grid rose 0.8% to 843.8 pence at 9:18 a.m. in London. The stock is down less than 1% since Friday’s blackout.To contact the reporters on this story: William Mathis in London at email@example.com;Reed Landberg in London at firstname.lastname@example.orgTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Reed Landberg at email@example.com, Andrew Reierson, Rob VerdonckFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
In his first interview since Friday’s blackout cut power to 1m UK homes and businesses and caused widespread transport disruption, John Pettigrew defended National Grid’s performance, saying it had restored power within minutes to the electricity transmission system during the “rare” outage. “My view is the broader investigation absolutely needs to look at the prioritisation of demand,” said Mr Pettigrew. Mr Pettigrew’s comments suggest a degree of frustration within National Grid, which was privatised almost three decades ago, over how a short-term outage caused such disruption.
National Grid’s chief executive has promised to examine how electricity is prioritised in the event of shortages, after the company came under severe criticism for shutting off the supply to critical UK infrastructure after Friday’s power cut. Writing on his personal LinkedIn page on Monday, Mr Pettigrew said one of the areas that would be examined in the aftermath of the event was “whether the system as it is currently designed prioritises power supplies in the right way”. National Grid, which is in charge of managing Britain’s electricity supply, automatically shut down parts of its system on Friday afternoon after two power generators failed: a gas-fired power station in Bedfordshire and an offshore wind farm in the North Sea, which together accounted for 5 per cent of the country’s power needs at the time.
When a blackout hit almost 1m British homes and caused travel chaos on Friday, people joked whether someone had tried “turning the UK off and back on again” as if the country was a temperamental computer. The opposition Labour party has called for the company, which was privatised almost 30 years ago, to be brought back under state control.
Energy regulators on Saturday demanded an urgent report from the operator of Britain's electricity grid into what caused a power cut that led to chaos across the country, with trains brought to a standstill and traffic lights knocked out. "Ofgem has asked for an urgent detailed report from National Grid so we can understand what went wrong and decide what further steps need to be taken," the energy watchdog said in a statement. National Grid, which owns the electricity transmission system in England and Wales, said there had been a rare and unusual issue which had led to the almost simultaneous loss of power from two generators.
which affected nearly a million businesses and homes in England and Wales on Friday and caused severe transport disruption at the start of the weekend getaway. New Business and Energy Secretary Andrea Leadsom said on Saturday that she would commission the government’s energy emergencies executive committee to look at the incident after power outages during rush hour caused “enormous disruption”. Hundreds of people were trapped on trains as a result of the power cuts, which were reported across the South-east, Midlands, South-west and North-east of England as well as in Wales.
After National Grid plc's (LON:NG.) earnings announcement in March 2019, analyst consensus outlook appear cautiously...
(Bloomberg) -- About $400,000. That’s how much two New York City deli owners say National Grid Plc may cost them by refusing to supply natural gas to a new burger restaurant they’re planning in Brooklyn.The men are victims of a complex face-off between the utility that supplies gas to the metropolitan area and state regulators. New York and New Jersey have denied approvals for the $1 billion Williams Cos. pipeline expansion that National Grid has said is needed to boost their gas capacity.Williams Cos. has vowed to reapply for approval but, in the meantime, National Grid is declining to approve any new contracts to supply gas. It’s a decision that could hamstring new businesses and housing, say support groups in New York and on Long Island.The deli owners learned in early July the utility wouldn’t accept their application for gas. Now they say they may have to cancel their plans. “We have already hired employees, who are sitting and waiting, asking ‘When can we come into work?” Muhammad Quereshi, one of the men, said in a telephone interview. The denial, he said, leaves them to pay back $400,000 in business loans they expected would come from the new restaurant’s profits.Nobody knows how many businesses are affected yet, but any business that wants to come in and requires natural gas -- in particular, restaurants -- will face difficulty trying to get it.London-based National Grid won’t say how many applications it hasn’t processed. Annually, the company normally receives around 8,000 applications from commercial, industrial and residential consumers requesting natural gas service, according to Domenick Graziani, a spokesman. The utility declined to discuss The application by Quereshi and Shahbaz Warraich, saying customer information is confidential.In the past, National Grid has said that if the pipeline project isn’t cleared by winter 2020, applications in the region can’t be processed.In May, New York denied a key permit for the Williams Cos. pipeline, with the Department of Environmental Conservation saying it would result in water quality violations, including those caused by kicking up hazardous metals and disturbing seabed habitats. The denial was “without prejudice,” meaning the company can reapply.Pipeline’s Proposed PathEnvironmental groups have argued that the Northeast Supply Enhancement, as the pipeline is named, is unnecessary and would further New York’s reliance on fossil fuels. Williams and National Grid say the project is needed to meet demand during the winter months, when consumption of the heating fuel peaks and prices can spike.Business advocates say that while they understand the need for environmentally-friendly alternatives to gas, the technology for renewables isn’t there yet to meet the energy needs of the region. The decision not to approved the pipeline extension is also thwarting a regional transition from heating oil to cleaner-burning gas."Renewable projects are a long-term play, but they’re not here yet," said Kevin Law, president and CEO of the Long Island Association. "They can’t turn on lights, heat our homes or cool our buildings for many years to come."In notices sent to its customers, National Grid is encouraging ratepayers to sign a pre-written letter in support of the project to be automatically sent to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who has been a leading voice opposing pipelines. "To be clear," National Grid’s notice says, “we need this additional supply to support all new requests for natural gas, for residential, multifamily and business purposes."The utility cutoff will “undo a lot of the success we’ve had in growing the Long Island community in the last 10 years,” Law said.New York City and Long Island aren’t the only areas in the state facing the issue. Westchester County was put under a moratorium on new natural gas service by Consolidated Edison Inc. in March. At the time, the County projected that the construction of 16,000 homes could be suspended.The issue has forced some developments to be redesigned to accommodate new methods of heating, said Mitchell Pally, CEO of the Long Island Builders Institute.Pally said he expected several projects to leave the area since “it’s hard enough to develop in Long Island. Without an adequate and sustainable energy source, it will be much more difficult.”“It’s definitely stopping development at a very base level,” said Thomas Grech, president and Chief Executive Officer of the Queens Chamber of Commerce.To contact the reporters on this story: Millicent Dent in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org;Sydney Price in New York at email@example.comTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Lynn Doan at firstname.lastname@example.org, ;Debarati Roy at email@example.com, Reg Gale, Joe RichterFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
While some investors are already well versed in financial metrics (hat tip), this article is for those who would like...
Today, National Grid , through its competitive non-regulated unit National Grid Ventures , completed its $100 million acquisition of Geronimo Energy - a leading wind and solar developer in North America.
It is not uncommon to see companies perform well in the years after insiders buy shares. The flip side of that is that...
Britain, the birth place of coal power, is set this year to use more electricity from zero-carbon sources such as wind, solar and nuclear than from fossil fuel plants for the first time, the country's National Grid said on Friday. Britain was home to the world's first coal-fuelled power plant in the 1880s, and coal was its dominant electricity source and a major economic driver for the next century. "The incredible progress that Britain has made in the past 10 years means we can now say 2019 will be the year zero-carbon power beats fossil fuel fired generation for the first time," National Grid CEO John Pettigrew said.
NYSE: NGG), announces the addition of 4 new portfolio companies and 2 new strategic fund investments. NGP has invested in Audio Analytic, Carbon Lighthouse, Copperleaf and GoCardless, and has become a limited partner in IQ Capital Fund III LP (an IQ Capital fund) and JVP VIII, L.P. (a Jerusalem Venture Partners fund). With these investments, NGP expands its portfolio to 12 companies with $90 million invested to-date and 3 strategic fund investments at the intersection of energy and information technology – furthering its provocative vision to define a smarter and more renewable energy future.
National Grid plc (NGG) could be a stock to avoid from a technical perspective, as the firm is seeing unfavorable trends on the moving average crossover front.
Williams Cos Inc said on Thursday it believes it can answer concerns raised by environmental regulators in New York and New Jersey about the company's proposed Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) project and get the natural gas pipe built by the winter of 2020/2021. The denials were the latest of many for projects that New York and New Jersey have rejected for environmental reasons in recent years.