|Bid||6.70 x 0|
|Ask||6.72 x 0|
|Day's Range||6.71 - 6.79|
|52 Week Range||5.18 - 7.46|
|Beta (5Y Monthly)||0.39|
|PE Ratio (TTM)||12.33|
|Earnings Date||Feb 20, 2020|
|Forward Dividend & Yield||0.26 (3.87%)|
|Ex-Dividend Date||Sep 02, 2019|
|1y Target Est||7.08|
Airlines and passengers are on guard against a new flu-like virus that originated in Wuhan, China. The biggest concern is a sharp drop in travel demand if the virus becomes a pandemic. During the height of the SARS outbreak in April 2003, passenger demand in Asia plunged 45%, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Asian shares and U.S. stock futures edged lower on Thursday as investors remained anxious about the spread of a new flu-like virus in China just as millions prepared to travel for the Lunar New Year. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 0.13%. Australian shares were down 0.75%, while Japan's Nikkei stock index slid 0.64%.
Announcement of Periodic Review: Moody's announces completion of a periodic review of ratings of Qantas Airways Ltd. Sydney, January 22, 2020 -- Moody's Investors Service ("Moody's") has completed a periodic review of the ratings of Qantas Airways Ltd. and other ratings that are associated with the same analytical unit.
(Bloomberg) -- Singapore Airlines Ltd. and Qantas Airways Ltd. were among carriers that diverted flights to skip Iranian airspace as hostilities in the Persian Gulf sparked by the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general ignited fears of a wider conflict in the Middle East.“In view of the latest developments in the region, all SIA flights in and out of Europe are diverted from the Iranian airspace,” Singapore Airlines said in an emailed statement. “We are monitoring the situation closely and will make the appropriate adjustments to our routes if necessary.” The carrier didn’t elaborate.A Boeing Co. jet flown by Ukraine International Airlines crashed shortly after takeoff from Tehran Wednesday morning, killing all on board. Local officials said initial assessments suggest the incident was caused by a technical issue.Boeing 737 Bound for Ukraine Crashes in Iran; No SurvivorsEarlier in the day, Iran fired rockets at two U.S.-Iraqi airbases, the Pentagon said, in response to the killing of General Qassem Soleimani by American forces last week. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps claimed responsibility for the barrage, which the U.S. said was launched from Iran and targeted the Ayn al-Asad base in western Iraq and another facility in Erbil. It wasn’t immediately clear whether there were casualties or major damage from the attacks.Qantas said it will change its services to avoid flying over Iraq and Iran. Its Perth-London flight is the only one that will be affected, with about 40 to 50 minutes added to the journey. Malaysia Airlines and Vietnam Airlines also said their flights will be adjusted.The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has barred civilian services over Iraq, Iran, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, the agency said in an emailed statement. The effect of the restrictions wasn’t immediately clear because it had already prohibited U.S. carriers from flying over most of those areas.(Updates with Qantas, Malaysia Air and Vietnam Airlines)To contact the reporter on this story: Kyunghee Park in Singapore at firstname.lastname@example.orgTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Young-Sam Cho at email@example.com, Will Davies, Ville HeiskanenFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Today we'll take a closer look at Qantas Airways Limited (ASX:QAN) from a dividend investor's perspective. Owning a...
(Bloomberg) -- Authorities are assessing mass property damage across southeastern Australia after searing temperatures and strong winds exacerbated catastrophic wildfires Saturday in one of the worst days of the weeks-long crisis.Dozens of communities, from small towns on the south coast of New South Wales, to alpine villages in neighboring Victoria state, were razed as fires grew so large they generated dry thunderstorms. Milder weather, including patchy rain, across scorched areas brought some relief Sunday, though flame-fanning wind gusts have frustrated efforts to quell about 200 blazes before fire conditions worsen later in the week, authorities said.Thousands of people, including tourists, heeded the advice of authorities and evacuated a 350-kilometer (217-mile) stretch of coastline as well as dangerous inland areas over the past few days to escape the intensifying infernos. But many remained, hosing down their properties to protect against falling embers as they anxiously waited to see if the winds would blow the fire front in their direction.The unfolding tragedy, that’s blackened about 5 million hectares (12.3 million acres) across New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia alone, has prompted millions of dollars of donations and support from international celebrities, sports stars, and the British Royal Family.Australia Fire Maps: Where the Devastating Wildfires Are BurningTwo people died in wildfires that have destroyed more than a third of South Australia’s Kangaroo Island, devastating the national park and farmland and severely damaging the luxury Southern Ocean Lodge resort. Penrith, on the outskirts of Sydney, reached a record 48.9 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit) Saturday, symbolic of the dangerous weather conditions that have fanned ferocious flames and sparked new blazes further south.Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced Saturday an unprecedented level of military support to boost firefighting and recovery efforts as the national death toll from four months of infernos rose to 23.A video set to electronic music posted on Morrison’s Twitter and Facebook accounts outlining the additional measures sparked thousands of comments. Some praised the deployment of as many as 3,000 army reservists, while others, including the Australia Defence Association, lambasted the 50-second clip, which spawned mocking renditions.Morrison told reporters Sunday that the video was produced to “communicate as simply and helpfully” as possible what the government is doing to help people.Australia’s Wildfire Crisis: Key Numbers Behind the DisasterHere’s the latest (all times local):Emergency warnings (4:30 p.m.)Emergency warnings remain for three wildfires in Victoria, and one has prompted a call to evacuate now, even as cooler weather has brought some relief, the state’s Emergency Management Commissioner Andrew Crisp told reporters in Melbourne. About 800,000 hectares (2 million acres) have been burned in East Gippsland and 180,000 hectares have been razed in the state’s northeast, he said.“We have had a couple of very difficult days,” Premier Daniel Andrews told the media briefing. “Today is a bit easier.”The number of people unaccounted for across the state has fallen to four from seven earlier Sunday, Andrews said. His government will contribute A$2 million ($1.4 million) to a Victorian Bushfire Fund supported by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Ltd., almost matching pledged donations from the public, to support relief and recovery efforts in affected communities.Flights canceled (3:00 p.m.)Qantas Airways Ltd. canceled afternoon flights arriving in and departing from Canberra, where air pollution was at least four times higher than the minimum threshhold for “hazardous, ” prompting the release of particulate-filter masks from the national stockpile. Mail deliveries to the national capital were suspended Friday by Australia Post, which cited the impact of poor air quality on the safety of its workers.Eden threat (2:50 p.m.)Fire activity has eased around the southeastern New South Wales town of Eden, the New South Rural Fire Service said. Earlier, massive wildfires that crossed the Victorian border encroached on the coastal town, prompting warnings from authorities for those remaining there to leave.Dozens of people had sought shelter on Eden’s wharf, but police say that area is no longer safe, ABC reported. The Rural Fire Service said people in the town should seek shelter in a solid structure and enact their fire plans.The Royal Australian Navy’s HMAS Adelaide is stationed offshore with about 400 personnel to aid relief efforts.Energy impact (1:17 p.m.)Extensive wildfire activity in the Snowy Mountains region of New South Wales has hindered electricity supplies, the state’s Department of Planning, Industry & Environment said in a statement.The Australian Energy Market Operator, TransGrid, and state and territory governments are working closely to keep power supplies on, but weather conditions Sunday may cause power to be turned off in parts of the network ahead of peak evening demand.New Zealand aid (12:40 p.m.)New Zealand will send three helicopters and crew and two army combat engineer sections to Australia as part of additional support for wildfire-fighting efforts, Defense Minister Ron Mark said.The New Zealand contingent will deploy in the coming week to the Royal Australian Air Force’s Edinburgh based in Adelaide, South Australia, and will remain in Australia at least until the end of January, Mark said in a statement Sunday.Fire Emergencies (12:30 p.m.)Firefighters are battling 48 blazes across Victoria state, including two that represent a severe threat, the state’s Emergency Management Commissioner Crisp told reporters in Melbourne.About 900,000 hectares have been razed, mostly in the state’s East Gippsland region. Seven people are unaccounted for in the state, which has maintained “disaster” footing to heighten the political response to the crisis, which Crisp described as “dynamic” and “dangerous,” even as cooler weather and rain helped quell the firefronts.Recovery agency (11:30 a.m.)Australia will mount a national bushfire recovery agency to run for two years to support the health and well-being of people affected by the wildfires and recovery efforts, Morrison told reporters in Canberra. The government’s midyear budget projections are still on track even with the additional fire-fighting costs, he said.The government is calling for helicopter support from allies to help combat the wildfires, Defense Minister Linda Reynolds said during the briefing.Losses mount (11:08 a.m.)The Insurance Council of Australia estimates fire-related losses at A$375 million from 5,850 claims received so far. It’s the “widest ranging bushfire catastrophe that we have ever declared,” Campbell Fuller, a spokesman for the council, told ABC television.Assessments of property damage from Saturday’s inferno are expected to be tallied later Sunday.Milder weather (8:15 a.m.)Milder conditions in New South Wales are providing some relief after a “very long night for many residents,” New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.No one is unaccounted for in the state. Authorities may have estimates of the extent of property damage as early as Sunday afternoon, she said.Almost 150 “volatile, dynamic” fires are still blazing across the state, Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said, after the service’s second-busiest day.“It was an awful day yesterday, a very difficult day,” Fitzsimmons said, adding that hot weather forecast later in the coming week may bring more fires.Property losses will run into the “hundreds,” he said. Four firefighters were injured battling blazes in New South Wales, and a 47-year-old man died from a cardiac arrest after aiding efforts.Property damage (7:30 a.m.)Communities are bracing for news of property damage and loss early Sunday after another long night for firefighters. Southern New South Wales was ablaze into the early hours, with two emergency-level fires burning, including in the Bega Valley, near Victoria’s northeastern border.Cooler weather and light rain across parts of eastern Victoria has provided some relief and enabled firefighters to reduce the number of emergency-level fires to 4 from 17.‘Atomic bomb’ (5 a.m.)Officials issued new emergency warnings for bushfires that hit communities including Buldah, Cann River and Club Terrace in Victoria, saying it’s too late to leave. Hours earlier, residents of Dandongadale and Nug Nug were advised to evacuate immediately.At midnight, the fire service in New South Wales said the threat is “still not over” with seven fires at emergency warning and 11 labeled watch and act. A statewide total fire ban remains in effect for Sunday.“This is not a bushfire,” New South Wales Transport Minister Andrew Constance told ABC radio. “It’s an atomic bomb.”\--With assistance from Edward Johnson and Ben Bartenstein.To contact the reporter on this story: Jason Gale in Melbourne at firstname.lastname@example.orgTo contact the editors responsible for this story: Shamim Adam at email@example.com, Stanley JamesFor more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Operators of B737 aircraft converted by Israel Aerospace Industry have begun flying the planes with loading restrictions after a safety notice two weeks ago from the Israeli government led to a halt in flights. Alaska Airlines Inc (NYSE: ALK), Australian flag carrier Qantas and Indian low-cost carrier SpiceJet say they have returned the planes to service after a temporary grounding. Alaska Airlines pulled its three 737-300 freighters from service for two days in mid-December and substituted for the lost capacity by utilizing B737-800 and 737-900 passenger planes as dedicated freighters, "combined with utilizing our larger passenger planes when possible for extra freight," a spokesperson said.
Qantas Airways Ltd plans to have more experienced pilots on board the world's longest non-stop flights than on its current long-haul flights for the first 18 months as it evaluates fatigue, said sources with knowledge of the matter. The airline said last week it could buy up to 12 Airbus SE A350 planes for the commercial flights of up to 21 hours that includes the Sydney-London route, but the deal depends on pilots voting to approve a pay agreement in March. "To be clear, we have not yet placed an order for this aircraft because we still have a gap to close in the business case," Qantas Chief Pilot Dick Tobiano said in an internal memo to pilots seen by Reuters.
Qantas chose the Airbus A350-1000 over a next-generation Boeing 777 for the longest flight in the world though a final decision on the route is pending.
It’s a nice win for Airbus to be picked for a nonstop, long-distance program by the Australian airline, a master of the long flight. This is an area that is historically a stronghold for Boeing.
Australia's Qantas Airways picked Airbus SE over Boeing Co as the preferred supplier for jets capable of the world's longest commercial flights from Sydney to London, dealing the U.S. planemaker its latest setback this year. The choice of up to 12 A350-1000 planes fitted with an extra fuel tank for flights of up to 21 hours cements Airbus as the leader in ultra-long haul flying globally at a time when Boeing is battling delays on its rival 777X programme and a broader corporate crisis following two deadly 737 MAX crashes. The Qantas flights would begin in the first half of 2023, but remain subject to the airline reaching a pay deal with pilots, who would need to extend their duty times to around 23 hours to account for potential delays and switch between flying the A350 and the airline's current A330 fleet.
Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) on Wednesday said it expected the national aviation authority to approve a fix on Thursday to allow some Boeing 737 freighters converted by the state-run firm to resume flying. IAI had earlier advised customers not to fly them after saying it had detected an "apparent irregularity" in the production process of a rigid barrier installed in some of the conversions. IAI said it had proposed an interim solution, which was reviewed by Civil Aviation Authority of Israel (CAAI).
Qantas Airways Ltd said on Wednesday it had taken four Boeing Co 737 freighter aircraft out of service while awaiting further advice from Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) about a potential defect with a part within the cabin. IAI had converted the four 737-300 planes from passenger jets to freighters for the Australian airline in 2006. Qantas operates the planes, which have an average age of 33 years, on domestic cargo routes.
Qantas has asked Airbus and Boeing for a better deal on planes capable of non-stop Sydney-London flights before deciding whether to place an order. "We asked them to go back and re-look at that to sharpen their pencils because there still was a gap there," Qantas International Chief Executive Tino La Spina told an investor briefing on Tuesday after Qantas outlined plans for capital spending to average A$2 billion ($1.36 billion) a year. The Australian airline is considering launching the world's longest non-stop flights because it sees demand for time-poor travellers willing to pay a premium to cut out stop-overs.