U.S. markets closed
  • S&P 500

    -40.15 (-1.21%)
  • Dow 30

    -157.51 (-0.59%)
  • Nasdaq

    -274.00 (-2.45%)
  • Russell 2000

    -23.10 (-1.48%)
  • Crude Oil

    -0.45 (-1.24%)
  • Gold

    +10.80 (+0.58%)
  • Silver

    +0.35 (+1.52%)

    -0.0037 (-0.31%)
  • 10-Yr Bond

    +0.0250 (+2.99%)

    +0.0030 (+0.23%)

    +0.0250 (+0.02%)

    +38.64 (+0.28%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +1.78 (+0.68%)
  • FTSE 100

    -4.48 (-0.08%)
  • Nikkei 225

    -354.81 (-1.52%)

Coronavirus Latest: Wednesday, October 7

On Wednesday, Eli Lilly announced that it was applying for FDA emergency use authorization for its coronavirus treatment. This comes as BioNTech and Pfizer start their rolling submission of its coronavirus vaccine to the European Union’s EMA. Yahoo Finance’s Anjalee Khemlani joins The Final Round to discuss the latest on the coronavirus.

Video Transcript

SEANA SMITH: Turning to the latest on coronavirus, a couple of headlines today. Some news first on the treatment front. So Eli Lilly shares are up just about 3 and 1/2% today. Now the company applying for an emergency use authorization with the FDA for its coronavirus treatment. Anjalee Khemlani has the latest on this for us. Anj.

ANJALEE KHEMLANI: Thanks, Seana. Yep, so Eli Lilly looking to get at least some part of the market using its antibody treatment. We know that we saw for the very first time, really on a big stage, the use of antibody treatments when President Donald Trump was administered the maximum dose of Regeneron's antibody cocktail over the weekend. So, now, this is sort of setting the stage for even more interest. It was supposed to be that this type of treatment would act as a bridge until we get the full vaccine approval. And it seems like that's coming to fruition, with analysts saying that Regeneron's is likely to follow suit after Eli Lilly.

So Eli Lilly right now saying that it can produce about 100,000 doses for October, with up to a million doses by the end of the year, and then looking to apply for an additional EUA so that it can do-- use sort of similar-- like a cocktail-- two different types of antibody treatments, so a combined therapy for patients. And this EUA is something that's really important to note because it specifies only for high-risk, mild to moderate patients. And that's important because, right now, we're looking at the debate around vaccine EUAs, and it's important to note that the vaccine companies also have the ability to sort of narrowly apply for an EUA that applies to just very specific groups of the population. So waiting to see what those end up being.

Meanwhile, we know that Pfizer and BioNTech, the two that are coming with the lead candidate in the US, are also now targeting Europe with basically the equivalent of an emergency use authorization with rolling data to help inform that decision on when they can start marketing the vaccine, as well as then submit for full approval.

SEANA SMITH: Anj, I just want to ask you about some of the headlines that we got out of Boston, because we were talking about some of the steps that New York City was taking yesterday. Now we have Boston delaying its next step in reopening schools, the number of cases rising there. What's your sense just in terms of the public health officials that you're talking to, the doctors that you're in contact with, is this something that we think is going to continue to happen over the coming months as we really head into winter?

ANJALEE KHEMLANI: Absolutely. This is the thing that they've been watching and warning about, quite honestly, for quite some time. The expectation is that, without a doubt, cases will continue to rise. Whether or not strategies are put into place to prevent a repeat of earlier this year remains the question. We already know what we saw in New York, with schools shutting back down to distance learning, and other practices and strategies in place around the country.

We also know that states like North Dakota, for example, still experiencing part of what would really be wave one of the outbreak and continuing to battle that. So it does remain to be seen what the winter holds for the rest of the country and whether or not, again, we can prevent a repeat of earlier this year

SEANA SMITH: All right, Anj. Thanks for bringing that--