Yahoo Finance Live anchors discuss reports that Neuralink is being investigated over its treatment of animals during testing.
- You hear the music. You know what time it is. It's time for Cut for Time. Three stories 1 minute each. We start with this. Elon Musk's medical company-- medical device company Neuralink is reportedly under federal investigation due to employee complaints regarding its animal testing, according to Reuters. Workers claiming rush testing is leading to unnecessary results here.
Just wonder what the animals are saying. But I think with a lot of what we've seen for Elon Musk and Neuralink, of course, this is the part of his brand that was really focused on making sure that there's embedded devices that are able to be more neurologically connected for you. A question of what other experiences would be integrated within, but a ton of testing--
- Well, it's how paralyzed people walk again, how blind people see again, et cetera. To be clear, animals are killed in these situations. They dispose of the animals after they have completed the testing. The question at hand here is whether more animals died than was absolutely necessary. And employees say, yes, that was the case because the testing was rushed. They ended up doing botched surgeries on some of these animals. And then the same thing had to be done again on a different animal. So that seems pretty problematic. And part of that, allegedly, was because Musk was pushing them to get things done more quickly.
- Which puts the question on the integrity of the data that comes out of the research and development as well.
- Well, there's been no independent research on it.
- Has to protect those animals.