Valley of Hype: A Yahoo Finance Original Documentary
- I think it all starts with a very unique kind of founder, who truly has a passionate burning conviction that they've come up with an idea that will change the world.
ELIZABETH HOLMES: Finding the right people to invest in you, I think is everything.
- This is the valley of dreams, right? There is no other place in the world for somebody with a big idea can come and have access to capital, all of the corporate services you need to get it off the ground.
- Elizabeth Holmes was made possible by a broader culture.
- The hype machine is powerful.
Of course I have to blame Sunny Balwani and Elizabeth Holmes. I mean, they're the primary two. The co-conspirators who created this mess.
- Question is, did she know she was perpetuating a fraud or was there something more mysterious going on?
- Even for Theranos, I'm not 100% convinced that it is fraud.
- You know, it's not uncommon for entrepreneurs in particular, to talk in the present tense about the future. This is going to sound a little strong, but to a certain degree, she's a victim.