Kevin Smith/Business InsiderInstapaper, the popular "read it later" web and mobile app, has been acquired by Betaworks.
In a blog post, Marco Arment, the app's creator, writes:
I’m happy to announce that I’ve sold a majority stake in Instapaper to Betaworks . We’ve structured the deal with Instapaper’s health and longevity as the top priority, with incentives to keep it going well into the future. I will continue advising the project indefinitely, while Betaworks will take over its operations, expand its staff, and develop it further.
Arment explains in his post that he figured out a couple of months ago who should acquire his app and shot off an email late at night. Both Arment and Betaworks mutually agreed that the acquisition was a good fit.
Betaworks is an incubator that starts companies and aims to make them bigger. It's the same company that acquired Digg last year.
More From Business Insider
- BII REPORT: Why Mobile Payments Are Set To Explode
- This To Do List App Punishes You For Not Getting Things Done
- Mobile Search: How Smartphones Are Disrupting The Internet's Biggest Business
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Takeovers
- Personal Investing Ideas & Strategies