MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Marketwire - Jan 17, 2013) - Sumo Logic, the next-generation log management and analytics company, today announced the findings of a survey of nearly 300 IT professionals and big data enthusiasts nationwide, throughout 2012. The survey results revealed that more than 70 percent of respondents felt that log management and other machine data solutions failed to deliver enough business value, or were too complicated to use.
"Log management solutions must deliver rapid and concrete value to become a critical part of business operations," noted Sanjay Sarathy, chief marketing officer at Sumo Logic. "Our results show that enterprises want real-time insight into their data and operations without complicated deployments. Cloud-based infrastructures provide the cost-effective analysis that can shed unique light on application, operational, and security issues the IT team may not yet be aware of is a significant challenge that many current solutions are not meeting."
Additional survey findings included:
- Performance and Simplicity are Critical -- Slow performance and lengthy, complicated deployments became major pain points companies experienced in managing machine data.
- Application Performance Monitoring a Major Use -- Nearly half of all respondents (46 percent) used log data to help troubleshoot and monitor performance of their applications, particularly around customer usage and web analytics. Others used the data to monitor IT infrastructure (33 percent), especially in the areas of anomaly detection and proactive alerting, or to ensure IT security and compliance (21 percent).
- The Challenges With Homegrown Solutions -- Findings show that over 70 percent of respondents rely on either in-house or open source solutions to manage their machine data. The deployment challenges and the lack of business value were predominantly centered around this group, highlighting the significant opportunity for commercial log management solutions which offer ease of use and provide rapid time-to-value.
Survey responses were compiled at a variety of industry events nationwide throughout 2012, by polling attending IT industry professionals ranging from individual IT consultants to executive-level respondents, each of whom had an interest in log management solutions. Those polled were neither customers nor prospects of Sumo Logic at the time of their survey.
Sumo Logic helps enterprise IT professionals search, analyze, monitor, and visualize big data in real time, enabling application and infrastructure troubleshooting within data center, cloud and hybrid environments. As a native cloud solution, Sumo Logic eliminates the need for on-premise log management equipment and dedicated personnel, delivering a petabyte-scale platform that gives companies immediate access to valuable operational insights. With Sumo Logic, organizations benefit from rapid time-to-value and do away with expensive professional services and costly deployment models.
Learn more about Sumo Logic
- Sign up instantly and for free: http://www.freesumo.com
- Watch the Sumo Logic product overview video: http://bit.ly/sumodemo
About Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic is the next generation log management and analytics company that leverages Big Data for real-time IT insights. The company's cloud-based service provides customers with real-time interactive analytics at unprecedented petabyte scale. The Sumo Logic service is powered by patent-pending Elastic Log Processing™ and LogReduce™ technologies, and transforms log data into actionable insights for IT operations, application management, and security and compliance teams. Unlike expensive and complex premise-based solutions, the Sumo Logic service has a low TCO, can be deployed instantly, scales elastically and requires zero maintenance. The company is based in Silicon Valley and is backed by Accel Partners, Greylock Partners and Sutter Hill Ventures. For more information, visit www.sumologic.com.