For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – October 18, 2018 – Zacks Value Trader is a podcast hosted weekly by Zacks Stock Strategist Tracey Ryniec. Every week, Tracey will be joined by guests to discuss the hottest investing topics in stocks, bonds and ETFs and how it impacts your life. To listen to the podcast, click here:
How to Find the Best Oversold Value Stocks
Welcome to Episode #114 of the Value Investor Podcast
Every week, Tracey Ryniec, the editor of Zacks Value Investor portfolio service, shares some of her top value investing tips and stock picks.
Stocks have sold off and everyone is talking about how “oversold” the growth stocks are now.
But what about the value stocks? Is it possible for them to be oversold as well?
Screening for Oversold Value Stocks
It’s possible to screen for oversold stocks and then add value fundamentals.
To get stocks that are oversold, you can look for stocks trading near their 52-week lows. That probably indicates some distress in the stock.
This screen looked for those trading within 15% of the lows but some of the companies in the screen had a value of “O” in this category which means they actually are trading at their 52-week lows.
For value, you can use any of the classic fundamentals. In this screen, the P/S ratio under 1.0 was used.
The screen also includes the Zacks Ranks of #1 (Strong Buy) and #2 (Buy) which should provide stocks with rising earnings estimates.
It’s no guarantee that you’ll avoid value traps just by adding the top Zacks Ranks, but it will certainly eliminate some companies that are struggling.
This basic screen returned 57 stocks.
Here are 5 that you should put on your short list.
5 Oversold Value Stocks
1. American Woodmark Corp. AMWD has been hit hard in 2018 as shares have fallen 49% year-to-date. This cabinet maker is very cheap with a P/S ratio of 0.9 and a forward P/E of 8.9. Earnings are expected to be up double digits this year and next, however.
2. EMCOR EME is trading within a $1 of its 52-week low. Shares of this engineering and construction company have fallen 15% year-to-date even though earnings are expected to rise 17% this year. It has a PEG ratio of just 0.97.
3. Toll Brothers TOL, the luxury home builder, has seen its shares sink over 33% year-to-date. Shares are now dirt cheap, with a forward P/E of just 6.8. Earnings are expected to be up double digit this fiscal year and next fiscal year yet no one on Wall Street is buying it as they continue to flee. Is it time to stock up on the home builders?
4. SYNNEX SNX has already reported earnings and had a record third quarter. Wall Street is having none of it as this business services company is still trading near its 52-week lows. It’s price-to-sales ratio is just 0.15. How much cheaper will it get?
5. TTM Technologies TTMI is a global printed circuit board manufacturer. Shares are down 6.5% year-to-date but still trade near the 52-week low. With a forward P/E of 7.7, it’s certainly a value stock. Why is Wall Street ignoring this small cap stock?
This easy screen produced some fantastic oversold stocks that also have big growth.
What else should know you about finding oversold stocks?
Listen to this week’s podcast to find out.
Looking for Stocks with Skyrocketing Upside?
Zacks has just released a Special Report on the booming investment opportunities of legal marijuana.
Ignited by new referendums and legislation, this industry is expected to blast from an already robust $6.7 billion to $20.2 billion in 2021. Early investors stand to make a killing, but you have to be ready to act and know just where to look.
See the pot trades we're targeting>>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
EMCOR Group, Inc. (EME) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Toll Brothers Inc. (TOL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Synnex Corporation (SNX) : Free Stock Analysis Report
TTM Technologies, Inc. (TTMI) : Free Stock Analysis Report
American Woodmark Corporation (AMWD) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research