Apple announced on Monday during its WWDC event in San Jose, California, the newest version of its iOS operating system that runs on iPhones, iPads, and iPods, called iOS 11.
iOS 11 contains updates to current iOS 10 features and and adds new ones, too.
Those updates and new features include:
- New features for Messages, including an easier way to find stickers and message syncing in iCloud.
- Apple Pay can be used to pay another person for person-to-person payments, and it’s integrated into Messages so you can send or receive money from friends or family from the Messages app.
- Siri now a more natural tone of voice than before, and it can be used for translations from English.
- Siri can also suggest topics of interest to you, specifically, for news.
- Siri can offer word suggestions on the iOS keyboard based on your recent activity on your iOS mobile device.
- iOS 11 will store and play videos and photos while taking less space on your mobile device with better and more efficient compression.
- A refresh to Control Center, including a single page with all the features and options. You can also use 3D Touch to bring up more in-depth features and control from the new Control Center.
- Capture a specific frame of a Live Photo, and add playback effects to Live Photos, like loops.
- While watching a video in the Memories of Photos in landscape mode, you can switch to portrait mode and the video will use up the entire screen.
- Apple Maps now has detailed mall and major airport floor plans with directories and search.
- Apple Maps will also show you the speed limit of the road you're on, and offer lane guidance to suggest which lane you should be driving in based on the next step.
- A new feature called Do Not Disturb While Driving will disable notifications while driving, and will automatically reply to messages tell the sender that you're driving.
- HomeKit will be able to control your speakers with devices that support AirPlay 2, as well as speakers connected to the latest Apple TV.
- Apple Music can now show you what your friends who also use Apple Music are listening to.
- Third-party apps will be able to support integration with Apple Music.
- The App Store will be redesigned with a more modern swipe-oriented interface.
- iOS 11 will support augmented reality (AR) applications.
- For iPad, there's a new app switcher that looks like the App Dock on macOS and greatly enhanced multi-tasking.
- Also for iPad, a new Files app for managing your files and documents.
- iOS 11 will be available to download and install in the Fall of 2017.
More From Business Insider